AVC or ALC ...or ?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Chris Smith

Re: AVC or ALC ...or ?

Post by Chris Smith »

Instead of making the circuit quieter as in commercials blasting out [reversed] , mine increased the volume appropriately with the tire noise and increase in speed. [motor, wind, road and tire noise]
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

oh, ok,, i think i know what you mean..i had a small amp once, that had dual filiment lamps being used as emitter resistors they never lit up unless you was really cranking out the 10 watts.
it was a neet amp.. 1st time i saw them light up,, i thought it was burning up..
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

oh, also i ment to say,,,its not just the commercials,,,its my mp3's and cd's also
some songs are recorded louder than others..and some are quieter too..SIGH.
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

Since the CD's are digitally encoded, the peak signal is the same for all of them. The loudness will be determined at the time the CD was mastered. A low level indicates that room was left for high peak signals to be transmitted without clipping. The high level recordings would indicate that the signal may have been previously processsed to sound louder, or that clipping was not considered objectionable.
philba

Post by philba »

For a given CD, this will be true of the Red Book audio (wav files on the CD). however, CDs are each mastered a little differently. The problem gets worse when some one rips a CD and uses some random MP3 encoder which does random processing on the wav file. That's why random MP3s are all over the place on average volume level. <p>My favorite CD for demonstrating the dynamic range problem is a recording of Holst - The planets. 25 minutes of ear straining to listen and 2 minutes of ducking for cover. Yikes.