electric fence

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Larry Woods

electric fence

Post by Larry Woods »

I'm having a problem with Racoons ripping up my roof. I want to put up an electric fence like on a farm that stops cows roaming everywhere. It should pack a punch but not be lethal.<p>Can I get some advice on how to build the supply?<p>Many thanks
dacflyer

Re: electric fence

Post by dacflyer »

FENCE CHARGERS ARE CHEAP..goto local farm supply or pet supply , or lowes or "home cheapo"depot
most any hardware has what you need and the insulators...not expencive at all....cheaper than a new roof..lol<p>but note...since your roof is not a earth ground..you will need to have adouble row of wires..bout 4-6 inches apart...one is the hot wire and the other will be the ground point of the fence charger....<p>good luck
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Use a HENE laser power supply, battery type, and run it off a wall transformer.<p> It stores up a very high voltage of around 15kv in small caps which will penetrate any fur, and once it discharges, it continues to feed about 1000 to 1500 volts at non lethal amounts of current. shorted to a body, it will only send a trickle charge of a couple hundred volts, and Pico amps. [billionths of an amp] <p> I have been shocked many times by these power supplies, and its why I would recommend it. I taught all my young and sassy puppy dogs with it,.... to not chew on the Christmas tree light cords, stay out of the trash when Im not home, etc. <p>It makes them a little cross eyed when it goes zap, and they look at you in wonder of "what the hell was that"! A dumb animal with try a second chance, but never a third. And it penetrates any thick fur at a touch. Just dont let them pee on it? Ouch!!!
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

I used a single wire and the aluminum gutters to complete the circuit. I used only about 2kv to charge the capacitor. I used an oil filled capacitor from a microwave oven. I plan to redo it with some metal film or mylar capacitors in series. If the voltage is really high, moisture shorting it out could be a problem since it is outside. One way to produce the voltage is with a flyback circuit. The key is to have the steady state output current low enough to be safe.<p>[ October 21, 2003: Message edited by: Joseph Meisenhelder ]</p>
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Joseph Meisenhelder..... Meenie!<p>Possum stew!
Bernius1

Post by Bernius1 »

Joe, I like your idea. But your doctor should check you forTESTICULITIS CASTIRONUS, a serious condition caused by fearlessness.
Can't we end all posts with a comical quip?
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

:eek: I guess the device looks pretty bad. But, I guess that I just kept increasing the capability because the weaker devices were not stopping the incursions. Even the new device had to be operated continously at night because the racoon would check to determine if the shock were there, and proceed up onto the roof if the zapper was not on.
Will

Post by Will »

Not helpful to the thread but those who consider Joe's method to be unkind might like to consider the old English method for getting rid of moles. Kill one and skin it then hang the skin on your fence - seemd to keep the others away.
BB
sundancer87

Post by sundancer87 »

Wanna get rid of raccoons?
Do it the Mexican style, suspend a piece of fruit or bread from a big fish hook. Hang it off the ground, about the height of what a coon can stand upright. He'll be there in the morning.
Man, I hate it when they do that. I leave dry dog food out for the coons and in the summertime I can hand feed them bread, tortillas, chips, and cookies. They don't bother me even when on the roof.
toejam

Post by toejam »

Than there is always the old reliable trip cannon.