Laptop Help

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
fredje1

Laptop Help

Post by fredje1 »

hello Someone with expereince trouble shooting with Laptops. I have a compact LTE 5400 Laptop that is dead. I mean real dead. The battery is dead and I purchased a new one and the unit will not respond. I plugged it in the ac wall, that is the transformer and it still refusses to light the screen. All I got is the green indicator that says that the powetr is on. I had windows 98 on It when it worked and I don't have any other information on the laptop. I can't even get a service manual on it . Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Fje
Fje
jollyrgr

Re: Laptop Help

Post by jollyrgr »

I've worked on numerous Compaq laptops including the LTE 5x00 series. There can be many things wrong but let me give you a few ideas. <p>First, even though the power light is on, does it sound like it is trying to boot? Hard drive spinning etc.<p>Second, with the power light on and everything sounding like it is booting, hold the FN key (usually the lower left corner somewhere) and press the MONITOR key (usually F4). The monitor key has two pictures of a monitor; the square flat panel built into the laptop and an external monitor. It helps to have a standard VGA monitor connected to the laptop to see if it is the LCD display or the computer that is at fault. Hold the FN key down and then press the F4 (or proper monitor key) once and release. Don't get impatient as it takes a second or so for these laptops to respond to this command. I cannot recall this particular model but some Compaq's have three steps; internal flat display, external monitor VGA port, and BOTH.<p>The next step is something that you will need to try at your own risk! You will be resetting the computer's BIOS. If I recall correctly the LTE 5400 series has a CMOS battery that is on the bottom of the laptop. It will be a small door about as wide as a AA battery and about one and a half times as long. This battery cover must be removed with a small screw driver or similar prying tool. Before removing the cover disconnect all cables and remove the power battery. Next remove the cover by gently prying the cover off using the two slots. Once the cover is removed, carefully pull the battery out; it will be attached with wires and a small connector. You might have to lift the battery out using a pry tool of some sort but BE GENTLE! Note the way the wires are routed as they can be a pain to put back in if you don't do it correctly. Disconnect the battery and set it aside. With a small screw driver or other elecrically conductive item, short the connector inside the laptop (where the battery was connected) for about one minute. This is a pain in the @.. but can be done. You might need a piece of foil or paper clip bent just so that it touches the contacts. DO NOT replace the CMOS battery just yet. Connect the AC power cable to the laptop and power back on. If you get a bunch of warnings during the POST and see the display again, you have solved your problem. Power down and re-assemble. If this does not work, remove the power cord and set the laptop aside for an hour or so. It CAN take this long for the CMOS to reset. Then power up and try again. Follow normal steps to reprogram the BIOS.<p>I'm not saying that this is your problem but I fixed dozens of these laptops by the BIOS reset outlined above. I also taught this trick to others in my department and they used it successfully as well. I hope that this helps.<p>[ March 11, 2004: Message edited by: Jolly Roger ]</p>
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

your #1 problem is that its a COMPAQ piece of S**T
i had one and threw it away... after compaq ripped me off twice!
they claimed they replaced the mother board and they never did and they said we have helped you we can , obviously you doing somehting wrong..<p>what? turning it on is wrong?
that was all i did after getting it out of the box from the shop... i turned it on and nothing but a beep code...Grrrr.<p>anyway i found out later they never replaced the mother board..cause the origional dirty dusty one was still in it...oh i had it marked too , cause i am always leary of repair shops..<p>anyway good luck
fredje1

Post by fredje1 »

Thank's I needed that but I'm not going to throw it away not just yet. I am well aware of Compac's mis deeds. Having repaired many of Compac computers and I think that all of their sh****t stinks anyway. But I am going to drain all the info out of the bugger till I see what Makes It tic. Eventully I will get It fixed, If it don't cost me an arm and a leg. Thanks A whole Heap Guy Fje :D
Fje
fredje1

Post by fredje1 »

Jolly Roger!! I have'nt forgotten You. I am trying all that you have suggested slowely but surley and it will take me a little time to do all that you suggested because I am very cautious with taking things apart and writing notes and parts placement to make sure that when I do find the trouble everything will go back in it's proper place. Keep in touch as I am sure that I will have more things to ask of you. Cheers Fje :)
Fje