truck battery to 12vdc regulated supply

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
positronicle

Re: truck battery to 12vdc regulated supply

Post by positronicle »

--Edited by Positronicle--
terri

Post by terri »

Where are you driving this rig with all that entertainment stuff?<p>I want to know so I can avoid the roads in that part of the country.<p>[ September 13, 2005: Message edited by: terri ]</p>
terri wd0edw
High4Volts

Post by High4Volts »

Terri- Colorado mainly.... ;) It's legal as long as the driver can not see the screen. I don't plan to use the GPS unless i'm on a long trips which i will have my girlfriend with me so i can make her drive so i can pla... errrr i mean moniter the gps and other things on there.. *grin*
terri

Post by terri »

Yikes!<p>Who answers the cell phone?
terri wd0edw
High4Volts

Post by High4Volts »

Terri.. that's what speaker phone is for.. leaves one hand free to adjust the radio station and the other to surf to www.nutsvolts.com ;)
Seriously, if anyone has a simple diagram useing the nte970 as positronicle suggested that would be so awesome. I did a few web searches but all i come up with are PSU's others want you to buy..
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Without the bother of googling, just what are these NTE devices any how? A low dropout regulator? 12VDC regulated is getting might close to input voltage available.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Industry Number : NTE970
NTE Device Number: NTE970
IC-POS VR,1.2-33V,3A,TO-3
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by positronicle:
<p>How does the regulator block voltage between the battery and an this device?<hr></blockquote><p>Typically 3 Terminal regulators have a bipolar pass transistor. This transistor is switched on and off to regulate the voltage. Thus voltage can flow from the input terminal to the output terminal easily. But if there is a cap on the output of the regulator and the input is suddenly disconnected from power (but there are other loads in parallel with the regulator input) power from the capacitor on the output won't flow backwards from the capacitor to the regulator input.<p>But I did notice something that was posted about this screen; it needs 2 amps. The NTE956 can handle a max of 1.5 amps. So this regulator won't cut it without some sort of power transistor arrangement.<p>Another idea. 12V to 120V inverter. The original power supply plugged into the output of the inverter.<p>Or how about building a regulator from a 2N3055 (or similar transistor) and make a high current linear regulator. <p>Here is an example of one done using a zener diode.<p>http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=17905<p>The same thing can be done by attaching the base of the transistor to the output of the regulator. Throw a resistor on the output of the regulator as well to act as a load.<p>Take note: If the "thunder capacitor" is the far right cap in the referenced schematic, the power stored in the cap cannot go backwards through the transistor and is thus isolated from the battery source.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
positronicle

Post by positronicle »

High4Volts

Post by High4Volts »

Jolly, that's kinda what i am looking for. I would like it to still produce 12vdc while under a cranking load. Kinda what this picture is showing on that website Here! Is this simulation correct or as they talk in the message board, saying it will not work?
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Small Battery followed by a regulator.
High4Volts

Post by High4Volts »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Chris Smith:
Small Battery followed by a regulator.<hr></blockquote><p>What type of regulator would you use Chris?
positronicle

Post by positronicle »

High4Volts

Post by High4Volts »

so the 2 amps is going to pull it way down. Think a 26000 microF would do?
positronicle

Post by positronicle »