How to directly hook up Nidec HD Spindle Motor???

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jalbers

How to directly hook up Nidec HD Spindle Motor???

Post by jalbers »

I have a bunch of old computer hard drives that I am taking apart to salvage the magnets, bearings, platters, and other misc parts. They have Nidec 59-004046-001 spindle motors that I want to try to hook up directly to power if possible to make them run. I am looking for a data sheet on this motor. I went to the Nidec website but can't find any tecnical information on the motor. It has 4 terminals on the back. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
rshayes

Re: How to directly hook up Nidec HD Spindle Motor???

Post by rshayes »

This is a backwards way to approach the problem, but the ST Microelectronics (www.st.com) L7250 is a chip designed to drive both the spindle motor and the head actuator. The motor section is designed to drive a three phase Y connected motor. It looks as if the induced voltages in the motor windings are used as position indicators for brushless operation.<p>The three phase motor has four leads, similar to the motor that you have. By using an ohmmeter, it should be possible to locate the common connection.<p>You may be able to get a part number off of the motor driving chip on the circuit board of your hard drive. Then I would look for a data sheet on that chip and determine what type of motor it is designed to drive.<p>It doesn't appear that these motors run directly off of DC. They apparently need a fairly elaborate controller. They might be usable with a three phase signal is they were lightly loaded and ramped up to speed.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

if its a multi-pole motor with a single common..perhaps using a 4017 could drive it?
4017 is a decade counter chip. it has 10 steps to it,and can be set from 1-10 (or shall i say 0-9)
you may have to use transistors for higher currents,, i think the 4017 max output is 20-25ma per step,,, just an idea,, i do not know if it would work or not,,but you can use a 555 to adjust the clock speed to the counter..good luck.
jalbers

Post by jalbers »

Thank you for your replies. I am leaning towards just using the circuit board supplied with the HD to run the motor. However, when I try this the drive will spin up to full speed and run for about a minute then it will shut off. If I disconnect power and reconnect the drive will run for another minute and then shut down again. Is there some pins on the IDE connector that I will need to tie low or high to make it think that it is really connected to a PC?<p>Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks