Lamp manipulator

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
[email protected]

Lamp manipulator

Post by [email protected] »

I would thank the person who can help me with that. This is an important assignment for university.
I have to design a two axix lamp manipulator as part of an instrument to accurately measure the light output of car lamps with respect to their orientation. The manipulatorhas to enable to verify the designs of their head and tail lights and their compliance with the relevant standards.
I have to specify the components used in manipulating the lamps and in controlling the manipulating device.
My email is [email protected]
I hope some body can help me with this as soon as possible.
Chris Smith

Re: Lamp manipulator

Post by Chris Smith »

How much axis or spin do you need?<p>Car head lights come with two clamping rings that hold the bulb [globe] and have built into these rings, two axis adjusters. However, their angle is limited. Usually the Phillips head screws only adjust around 10 to 15 degrees max. <p>Failing this a two axis Gimble would be the next best thing?
josmith

Post by josmith »

What you need is a two axis servo system.It's a control box with two motors hooked to it. You just have to program it to do what you want it to do. If you do a search you will find many of them. It will take a lot of reading to find the one that is suitable for your application so start by defining your requirements like torque and resolution. Also consider any additonnal inputs and outputs you might need since it is common for these systems to include some additional sequencing or i/o functons (like turning on the lamps or taking the measurements)
Most systems interface to a pc.<p>[ December 28, 2004: Message edited by: josmith ]</p>
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Thank you for all your advices. What I have proposed is a system with a software, a controller and a motor. I just wonder if I need any another device to make work the lamp manipulator.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

The motors and soft ware can be made from old printer parts. That way the soft ware and hook up hardware is supplied already with any printer and the x-y soft ware that comes with it, and with some modification you can simply mount the stepper motors to move your bulb like a printer head, only around one axis at a time instead of the linear motion. <p>The Gimble or axis parts can be made of wood if you have access to a wood working shop. <p>You can cut out two large rings made of ply wood or other wood on a lathe, or with a jig saw, one smaller than the other in a close fit inside each other, both bigger than the bulb diameter, and using common nails or screws for the axis or pivot pins,.... while one ring pivots inside the other at 90 degree points, and a third Hole cut in a large board that mounts the whole setup for the main or steady axis of 90 degrees to the ground.