DIY circuit boards

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Bern

DIY circuit boards

Post by Bern »

Please bear with me, but after reading a lot on different board design software, and methods, I am still not sure what would be the best way for me to go. I want to be able to lay out small, single and double-sided boards. I want to be able to make my own boards for testing, or where one or two are needed, and also be able to order small numbers of production boards. Looking at some of the various free software, and places to order small quantities. At this time, I don’t see need for silk-screening, or solder mask. (Also what is the best method for making DIY boards?) What has worked best for you???? Thanks again!
Mike

Re: DIY circuit boards

Post by Mike »

Double sided is VERY hard to do because it's hard to line both sides up.<p>To make my pcbs, I go to kinkos and buy some sheets of their glossy laser paper, they have two thicknesses, get the thinner one.<p>Then, print the image onto it with a laser printer (1200dpi being the best, don't go below 600dpi).<p>Next, heat the board with an iron on full heat for about 30 seconds, place the paper ink down, then iron it on for about a mintue and a half, then put it in warm water for about 10 minutes. I use my laundry sink, put a little hot water in it and let the paper soak.<p>Finally, take off the paper. Some will stick, which is OK. Just rub it off lightly with your finger.<p>You may have to do some touch-ups, with a sharpie-type marker. Sharpies dont work well though. I have good results with a maxell cd pen. If you could find them, they come in a pack of 4 colors, use the black one for touch ups.<p>Hope this helps!
paulrevelcet

Post by paulrevelcet »

I agree with mike, I have tried different methods of making pcbs having best results with the laser printer method.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Best you can get from a fab on 2 layer would amount to about $75 for 5 boards shipping included delivered in about 2 weeks. This covers 2 layer standard process up to 20 square inches and it's not much more for 10 boards (sometimes the same).<p>Several fabs offer this similar low pricing on "Proto" work and all have soldermask and silkscreen included.<p>You just have to find the line where personal time and enjoyment turn into frustration and wasted materials. Then you'll know which boards to make yourself and which to let the pro's handle.<p>For larger boards with many layers, the key to getting a good price is in getting quotes from at least 4 vendors in different geographical areas and using that info to negotiate with your preferred vendor.
Mike

Post by Mike »

www.olimex.com has them for only $25 each.<p>But I don't think he wants that, he wants to make them himself :)
jwax

Post by jwax »

Hint for frontside/backside alignment-
Put 3 circles near 3 of the 4 corners, for drill holes, on front and back of artwork. Once the holes are drilled, alignment front-back is easy.
;)
John
WA2RBA
Bern

Post by Bern »

Thanks guys. I just went ahead and ordered Al Williams book. I hope it can lead me by the hand, and is worth the price.
howard123456

Post by howard123456 »

For home brew builders of pc (printed circuit board)projects, I offer to some one a service of laying out a board from schemitic. I limit this service based on size and time required.
[email protected]
Custom design UPS and Inverters, and Power Line conditioner and pc board layout
Mike

Post by Mike »

again, please stop spamming this forum.<p>And, he already has the PCB layout, he's just asking how to make the physical boards.
jwax

Post by jwax »

[email protected], custon, whatever you call yourself:
Obvious you cannot write, but if you can have someone read this for you......LEAVE THIS FORUM.
WA2RBA
Mike

Post by Mike »

He is even posting on my bulletin board. There were 3 posts with the identical text as he wrote here.<p>There was one post in the how to section, one in the techinal suppotrt, and he hijacked a post of somebody asking how to download the eagle files.
philba

Post by philba »

Double sided PCBs are quite easy to make via toner transfer. I do it all the time (ok,not all the time but I made like 50 in the last year). I don't bother with single sided any more because I like the other side to be a ground plane. You should start with single sided, though. <p>All you need is a laser printer (or photocopier), an iron, some coated paper (see the links) and etchant. Your first one will take some time but I've gotten it down to a couple hours start to finish. <p>The williams book is a good guide to eagle but doesn't really talk about home fabrication of PCBs.<p>Here are several links that will help you.
http://www.fullnet.com/u/tomg/gooteepc.htm
http://geocities.com/pdmtr/
http://www.pacificsun.ca/~robert/pcb/pcb.htm <p>The last one has lots of pictures and is the best (imo) but all three have something to add.<p>
There is a yahoo home brew PCB group worth checking out of you are serious about making your own. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Homebrew_PCBs/<p>pm me if you have any questions.<p>[ November 30, 2004: Message edited by: philba ]</p>