How to size Transformer

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
bsparky

Re: How to size Transformer

Post by bsparky »

Sorry I don't know what kind of scope this is yet, I'm working on second hand info. I thought this was going to be a simple DC supply, but it brought up the question of transformer sizing which I have come across before. Today or tomorrow I will go to the other plant and see for myself.
terri

Post by terri »

The aforementioned ARRL handbok has a lot of info on transformers in the Power supply section, including a graph of watts versus transformer core cross-section.
terri wd0edw
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

250 watts surely must goes through a fiber optic to ensure you don’t burn the sample?<p> My Enlarger had fiber optics to keep the color/ heat balance away from the film while using a 100 watt halogen light bulb. <p>It had to be over one foot away just so it didn’t interfere by heat through the air.
terri

Post by terri »

Don't they sometimes send the beam through a pool of water to cool it or something like that? Seems to me Theatre Projectors do or did something like this --but maybe that was just with the limelight illumination or maybe with carbon arc lamps. My recollection on this is vague.
terri wd0edw
bsparky

Post by bsparky »

Went to the other plant and found the origianal curcuit. Looks to me that they are using an IGBT (G7) with another # Q665 MEX and the bulb is only 150 watts then going through a mirror then colored lens. Is there a way to test this couponent?
terri

Post by terri »

Do you mean the lens, the mirror, the bulb, the Q665, or the IGBT?
terri wd0edw
bsparky

Post by bsparky »

The Q665 which is the designator on the IGBT.