Neodymium Magnets

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
kelsy

Neodymium Magnets

Post by kelsy »

Does anyone know where I could find a Neodymium (rare earth) magnet that is 2.75" round and 1.25" thick with a .75" hole in the center?
Donald S. Lambert

Re: Neodymium Magnets

Post by Donald S. Lambert »

Do you realize just how powerful a magnet of that size is? I have some small ones and I have had pinched fingers that drew blood. You need to figure out how to handle it before you get one or several. I don't know where you would get one that size. I got mine from Electronic Goldmine. HTH Greybie
Matt

Post by Matt »

Try here: http://kdsmagnets.com/. They look like they have alot of magnets of different types, shapes, and sizes, including neodymium.
========
--Matt--
========
algaeman

Post by algaeman »

You're from ontario too! I got some neodynum magnets from a place called "Lee Valley". It's a woodworking/gardening tools store. They have a catalogue, and I think you might be able to order from them. I saw some ring magnets in there... And yes they are VERY powerful. Keep them away from electronic devices like your computer! Handle with care! If you're going to work with them, handle only one at a time and keep the others far away.<p>I'm interested- what are you using them for?
kelsy

Post by kelsy »

Thanks for all the replys. My application is for a permanent magnet alternator (PMA) when using a wind turbine. Some people have had great success with modifying a GM alternator, by placing a huge ring magnet on the shaft. PMAs are available, however, I figured it would be cheaper and more satisfying to build one. I'm on the north shore of Lake Erie where the wind blows most of the winter and I'd like to reduce the heating bill somewhat.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Also check out this possibility. How To Use an Induction Motor As a Generator<p>I originally found this link at Electronics Hobbyist
John Paul

Post by John Paul »

I have found some at "Electronic goldmine".<p>But be carefull that you don't let two of them stick togather because they are almost imposible to pull apart. <p>John Paul.
John Paul

Post by John Paul »

You could try this
company: http://www.magnetsales.com
They have alot of neodymium magnets.<p>
John Paul
Bernius1

Post by Bernius1 »

& DON'T FORGET TO GOOGLE "EDMUND SCIENTIFIC".
Can't we end all posts with a comical quip?
magnet

Neodymium magnets

Post by magnet »

Do you know neodymium magnets can change proper functioning of meters like energy meters, water and also gas meters? You can save your money, pay less for media, because you can stop or slow your meters. Its no joke, its true.
philba

Re: Neodymium magnets

Post by philba »

magnet wrote:Do you know neodymium magnets can change proper functioning of meters like energy meters, water and also gas meters? You can save your money, pay less for media, because you can stop or slow your meters. Its no joke, its true.
You can also go to jail for that sort of thing. No joke either.
Bigglez

Post by Bigglez »

magnet wrote:Do you know neodymium magnets can change proper functioning of meters like energy meters, water and also gas meters? You can save your money, pay less for media, because you can stop or slow your meters. Its no joke, its true.
Really? Can you tell us how you did that, and what
kind of savings you obtained?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i had a video tape that had info on stuff like that..it was all a hoax ..nothing i tried worked.
dtief

Post by dtief »

This place has VERY big and dangerous magents. I bought 2 of their 1" cube neodymium magnets. Truly impressive.

http://www.unitednuclear.com/supplies.htm
magnet

Post by magnet »

philba wrote:
You can also go to jail for that sort of thing. No joke either.
What kind of things? Cheating or information sharing? Do you know detailed regulations? Nobody can proof using neodymium magnets.