Standard IF frequencies

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jollyrgr

Standard IF frequencies

Post by jollyrgr »

Does someone have a source (or know) what the standard IF frequencies are? I know AM radios normally use 455kHz, FM radios 10.7MHz, some scanners 10.8MHz, and some CBs used (I believe) 7.8MHz. In satellite systems they use 5150 MHz and 10750 MHz as the IF for the C and Ku LNBs. Cable TV "head end" systems use a 70MHz IF for a loop out.<p>What are some that I am missing?
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Robert Reed

Re: Standard IF frequencies

Post by Robert Reed »

Older car radios used 262Khz, Analogue televisions used 45Mhz. All the trunked 800 Mhz systems I have seen also use 45Mhz (first conversion). Radar uses 70 Mhz. However any well designed narrow band trancievers base their conversions and subsequent IF frequencys on many aspects of their particular operating bands (image rejection being only one of many things to consider). I have seen IF frequencies from 150 Khz to 70 Mhz depending on type of use.
But I think you have covered 99% of consumer electronics with 455K & 10.7M.(radio products).
terri

Post by terri »

Some old 1940-1950 TV sets used a 14MHz first conversion IF and it was big problem since it sat smack in the middle of the 20 Meter ham band. So every time a ham keyed up, it played hob with TV reception for owners of that brand. Of course, it was always the ham's fault, not the bonehead who chose this f for an IF.<p>Over the years, that brand of TV set fell into disrepute, probably because of the constant TVI (TeleVision Interference) issues, so the problem finally evaporated. <p>Just goes to show you. Choose your IF with care.<p>[ September 13, 2005: Message edited by: terri ]</p>
terri wd0edw
ezpcb

Post by ezpcb »

Old receivers use 200kHz because they use mechanical filter for the IF.<p>465k is also widely used in asia MW radio.<p>many dual convertion shortwave receivers use 58.245M and 455k(465k) as 1st and 2nd IF.
http://www.EzPCB.com
High Quality PCB for Electronics Hobbists, Pay for Chrokee, Get Land Rover