Green Laser pen

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dr_when

Re: Green Laser pen

Post by dr_when »

This is the part where I usually like to jump in and say something clever and/or rude but I am not going to do so because someone would just call it "noise". At any rate this whole thread has degraded to a point well below absurd. Fun to read, tho!!!<p>The Doctor
"Who is John Galt?"
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

DR, .......Im enjoying it immensely because Poor Will has not managed to make mass and inertia completely disappear from the known universe, resulting back to the fact that “Einstein’s Universe” keeps poking him in the read end. <p>It is funny. I hope you-all aren’t taking it too serious? Just a sparing match or a mind exercise.<p> The cobs webs of time have become dislodged and it feels good.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Steven...... Just for you and the laughs that follow, when you scratch your head!<p>Did you ever find those missing SATs that I never took? <p>Here, contact my old high school and ask them did they give SATs to 3rd and 4th form students back in 1970?<p>[US equivalent of 9th and 10th grade]<p>Pittwater High School
Pittwater Rd & Mona St,
Mona Vale N.S.W. Australia 2103
Phone 9999 4035
Fax 9979 5088 <p>[email protected] School
Website http://www.pittwater-h.schools.nsw.edu.au/ <p>Ahh, perhaps they didn’t give them out in the 3rd form [9th grade] when I quit high school and went directly to college. <p>Did you have to finish high school before they let you into college? <p>Funny how you want to spar, but you cant back up anything with anything other than your google search and misquotes?
philba

Post by philba »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Chris Smith:

The speed of an object determines its mass, and any gym teacher can instruct you on that one.
[ September 24, 2005: Message edited by: Chris Smith ]
<hr></blockquote><p>Fascinating. I suspect that ONLY a gym teach would instruct on that one. You are either brilliant beyond all humankind or have let your prescriptions lapse. If it's the former, I am baffled why you would waste your time with such unappreciative unworthies such as us. Let me know when you pick up your Nobel Prize.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Any student can give amusement, but only smart ones get it right and so far neither of you have figured out the concept of mass or momentum,... by your replies. <p>And its not even a tough one, in fact its covered in the first 100 pages of ANY physics book.<p>The value of a formal education is very apparent.
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

Due to the web, it is not that difficult to find out a little about the Australian educatonal system and their entrance requirements for their universities.<p>If you are an overseas student coming from the United States, you are required to take either the SAT or the ACT. If your are a resident of Australia, you are required to meet the requirements of the Australian educational system.<p>Chris states that he dropped out of school during the 3rd form or ninth grade. At this point, he was probably 15 years old. The significance of this is that after age 15, he is no longer required to attend school. It is not an academically significant point.<p>The Australian system seems to be (not suprisingly) patterned more after the British system than the American. Standardized tests are given in the tenth year, and a certificate is issued if the student has completed his studies satisfactorily. This allows the student to continue studying for specialized tests that are given in the twelth year. One of these tests is an English test, performance is expected to be at the twelve year level, and it is a required test. This results in a second certificate if the tests are satisfactorily completed.<p>On the basis of the twelth year tests, a score is calculated, and that score determines the eligibility of the student to enter a university.
Overall, the tests are as stringent, and possibly more so (particularly the English test), than the SAT or ACT. Admission to the universities seems to be very competitive.<p>Since Chris dropped out of school at the ninth year, he would not have taken either of these tests, and there would be no basis for admitting him to a university in preference to students that had completed the normal course of study.<p>The tests used for the past ten years are posted on line for the information of secondary school students. From Chris Smith's various posts I would find it hard to conclude that he could pass them, particularly the English tests (which are specifically required).<p>[ September 25, 2005: Message edited by: stephen ]</p>
Will

Post by Will »

This is fun ! hands up ! guys - Vote, as Chris previously suggested in one of his posts
Who really believes that he even has a clue as to what he is talking about. There is absolutely no doubt that Chris has a great, worthwhile knowledge and experience of electronics which is,relatively, a gift to all of us who read/contribute to this forum; but the Sh*T (Chemical formula 'S' 'H' One 'T' );we have to put up with in the interim, perhaps diminishes that to some degree ?
diminishres that some what ? the
BB
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

Hello Will,<p>Sometimes Chris is reasonably accurate, often he is just using his imagination. If you are not familiar with the subject it may be hard to tell the difference. He certainly lack a few clues when it comes to elementary Physics. But that doesn't stop him.<p>He depends too much on personal attacks. He was perfectly willing to assume that I, you, and Philba were much younger that he was, had no experience, and no training (ie, formal degrees). He had no basis for those assumptions, but he made them anyway. All three of us are older and probably have more experience. Both Philba and I have BS degrees, and I am fairly sure that you have one or the equivalent, since you mentioned on another thread that you were a Chartered Engineer.<p>We now know that Chris is willing to misrepresent himself, and his statements are unreliable, since they may not be based on knowledge or fact. It would be better if it was different.
terri

Post by terri »

terri wd0edw
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

I like the part where you say you have to pass the SATs to get in, but you fail to mention the rules in 1970 when I attended. <p>This is what’s known as suggestive analysis [or short cut] and it is also sloppy work on your part Steven.<p>I gave you my high school address because I knew you were really too lazy to do your home work, and thought you would try to glean a few tid bits like you did, and then use this incomplete home work to pass in as your final exam. <p>Both you are teri suffer from a cheating syndrome and this shows in your work, your print, and your attitude. <p>And just for the record books you are both still wrong on the FT Pound V.S. the Pound Foot.<p>And this seems to be fueling your hallow attacks on where I went to school, where I studied, and what exams I did pass. <p>Perhaps because you didn’t pass these exams, and got it soo wrong you are really angry with your self for not pulling your foot out of your mouth early in the stage? <p>But, now you are hooked and committed to making your self the fool, so give us your best. You too teri.<p>[Page 155 Introduction to Physics]<p>The quantity for mass is E=Mc Square and this is the kinetic energy of an object. This representation if Kinetic energy is valid at any speed. When ever the energy of an object is increased , the mass of the object increases. If a body is lifted in the earths gravitational field so that its potential energy is increased, the increase in energy is related to the increase in mass of the body by E=Mc square. Mass and energy are directly related through the factor C square., thus it may be regarded as the energy of the object is a result of the mass of the object.
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

Let's look at conditions in Australia in 1970.<p>The population was between 13 and 14 million people. There were only 13 or 14 accredited universities in the tertiary educational system.<p>In 2005 the population is about 20 million, an increase of 50 percent. There are about 40 accredited universities, an increase of 200 percent.<p>From this I would conclude that is was at least twice as hard to get into an Australian university in 1970 as it is today.<p>It is clear that Chris would not be qualified for admission to an Australian university today. He did not complete half of the secondary eduaction process and did not take the examinations necessary to earn his certificates. There is no reason to believe that he was allowed to bypass the system in 1970, when the tertiary system was smaller relative to the population and there was even greater competition for university admission.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

“From this I would conclude that is was at least twice as hard to get into an Australian university in 1970 as it is today”<p>Steven The proper term to use here is "assume, guess, or Im just stroking you-all" but not "conclude". <p>To conclude requires more than guess work. <p>More of your half ass homework Steven?<p>Why not just use a Ouija board? <p>Now your assigning your self as the Australia expert, and like with physics, your just guessing on the answer. <p>So how many years did you live there?
What state, which city, which suburb? <p>You lost long time ago at the beginning of your argument, when you stopped learning and started the attack, now move on, your starting to embarrass your self.<p>[ September 25, 2005: Message edited by: Chris Smith ]</p>
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

Here are numerical values for the relative sensitivity of a "standard observer" to various wavelengths (nanometers):<p>410 .001
420 .004
430 .012
440 .023
450 .038
460 .060
470 .091
480 .139
490 .208
500 .323
510 .503
520 .710
530 .862
540 .954
550 .993
555 1.000
560 .995
570 .952
580 .870
590 .757
600 .631
610 .503
620 .381
630 .265
640 .175
650 .107
660 .061
670 .032
680 .017
690 .008
700 .004
710 .002
720 .001<p>As you can see, the relative sensitivity can vary a great deal, especially as the wavelength of the red pointer is varied.<p>A laser at 532 nm (green) should appear about 8 times brighter that one at 650 nm (red) for the same output power.
Will

Post by Will »

Please don't read this Chris - I'm no physicist but would like to add my little for the benefit of others who might want to read it. I BELIEVE there is no increase in mass when a body is travelling - where does anyone think it would come from - To incease mass we would have to add atoms or atomic particles of one sort or another - Do we have a process for manufacturing atomic particles from energy ?. When I said Einsteinian Physics that's what I meant but it looks like I should have said Relativistic Physics (Is that not the same thing ? - being a reference to Einsteins theories of Relativity ?
The energy imparted to a travelling body is physical/mechanical energy - measured in foot.pounds (Not foot/pounds that means feet per pound) Newton-metres etc. is E = m.v^2/2g. When a travelling body/particle velocity approaches the speed of light i.e. C then the v^2/2g is replaced by C^2. There are no known instances of bodies being accelerated to anywhere near C - except when they are the result of atomic changes. When this happens matter is converted into atomic particles mostly at or near the speed of light. In the case of fission if a neutron were to strike an material of atomic weight 39 and convert one atom of it into two of atomic weight 19 there would be a deficiency of the weight of one Hydrogen atom. The energy so produced would be E = m.c^2 where m was the mass of one hydrogen atom. The same effect would be observed if two AW 20 atoms were combined (Fusion if it ever works) and produced one atom of AW 39 the same energy would be produced. (Apparently without accompanying radio=active by-products ?) A practical example of this is that, if a 1,000 Megawatt Nuclear Power Plant ran at full load for one year it would convert (per fission) some 580 lbf of uranium (The equivalent of 1.5 million tons of coal) Nuclear engineers use E = m.c^2 to perform fission/heat calculations. Modern nuc plants can only convert a fractional percentage of uranium into thermal energy hence the gross amount of spent nuclear fuel generated. I have never heard of a process for converting nuclear energy back into mass. (Except of course on this forum)
I read the (Chris quoted) Imageview material - it is, in my opinion, garbage !.
BB
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Buy a physics book Will and learn something.<p>You remind me of a very stupid person I heard on the radio last night, telling us the reason we attacked Iraq was because they attacked the World Trade center. <p>That person, like your self, will never “get it”. <p>Sorry, and I mean no offence, but your learning curve is simply hindered by your complete lack of logic.<p>[ September 27, 2005: Message edited by: Chris Smith ]</p>