Artsie Fartsie Fun

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

Re: Artsie Fartsie Fun

Post by dacflyer »

great,, things look cool,, but i still need a schematic,,,hope some one comes along soon<p>i check back in a few days,,thanx...
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

still i wait for the one who can help :)
chessman

Post by chessman »

I believe I can help you...<p>I'm still not clear exactly what it is you are looking for, but I am pretty sure.<p>You can use an electret condensor mic run into an op-amp for gain and that can go into a comparator. The threshold can be set on the comparator and can be wired to a pot. This allows you to set the level of sensitivity, so-to-speak.<p>From the looks of it, you don't want seperate clock signals based upon different frequencies.<p>Of course, this way of doing it will be WAY too fast to see differences, wiring directly like this will not change the speed of the pulse, just the level (0 or 5V). You'd have your LEDs changing from on to off about 100-10,000 times per second!!! Waaaaaaaay to fast for the eye to notice a difference. You could get a cool on/off effect from it though, depending on where you set the sensitivity. I've never tried it out, so I'm not sure exactly what kinds of clock signals you could get from the circuit, but it would be cool to check it out and see for sure.<p>I can get you a schematic...feel free to email me.<p>[ January 18, 2003: Message edited by: chessman ]</p>
greg123

Post by greg123 »

Dac,<p>I wish i could post my schmatic...i have no scanner yet....Maby i will attempt ascii art.....<p>I guess you want the clock pulses to correspond with the TEMPO of the music? As the music goes faster, the lights go faster?<p>If you use the condenser mic, and drive the hell out of the output, and if you have enough bass response from your speakers, the mic's output should be pulse like. This can be cleaned up and used to trigger the decade counter to flip the lights on and off.<p>Greg
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

if no scanner can you mail it to me?<p>i'll gladly send you the postage...?
chessman

Post by chessman »

I can give you a hand. It's a cool idea, so I'll go ahead and play around and make one for myself.<p>I have a schematic of what SHOULD work, but I'm not sure what it would really look like, so I'll build it up and mess with it. After that, I can mail you a hard copy of the schematic along with the couple ICs you'll need (TL074 and 4040 will do the trick nicely), if you can get me the postage cost.<p>Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you wish.<p>~Kyle
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

cool / super ! no problem....<p>the 4017 whill have a super bright led on each out put..and of various colors<p>whould look interesting i think...<p>i was thinking to use a 5 step VU meter from my scrap pile.. and use the 5th led as the pulse..thinking that usually the low beats of the musik whould trigger the 5th element of the vu driver..and maybe even have the audio of the input tone controled to only let in low freq..
know what i am talking about ??? i hope so...lol thanx,, bye
chessman

Post by chessman »

Yeah I do know what you're talking about. That VU is probably just a few comparators and resistors, and that's essentially what I'm talking about here.<p>Looks like this:<p>condensor mic->op-amp buffer->comparator->counter->counter->LEDs.<p>The double counter system will be able to slow down the rate of the pulses from 100-10,000 times a second to a more noticable rate.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

hey kyle...did you get my stuff ok ? i got yours today in the mail... i will start working on this soon...as i get time here..thanx again
chessman

Post by chessman »

dacflyer-<p>Yes I got your stuff. The turqouise LEDs are really neat!! I like those the best. I tried to include all the stuff you would need, except the elctret mic because I don't have any of those extra. I think I remember you saying you had a couple so hopefully you do!!<p>~Kyle
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i got pleanty of mics,, i just now need to sit down and put everything together..
i'll keep you posted :)