ASTC 3.0 or NextGen TV..........

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Janitor Tzap

Re: ASTC 3.0 or NextGen TV..........

Post by Janitor Tzap »

dacflyer wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:25 am Maybe That's my issue, lot of multi path interference.. I have been using the so called omni directional antennas LAVA antenna and 1 other that i cannot recall right this second.. I still have to adjust it every once in a while .. It's funny, I can pick up stations to the south of me more than 100 miles away, but i can't pick up a stable signal north of me 50 miles away...which is where most of the stations are.. the signal strength meter is bouncing all over the dial. No matter the weather... I have a warehouse next door to me, and power lines in front of my house... Didn't have these issues way back when Analog tv was around.. I could pick up most all the stations around me with ease. even 100 miles away.. and all I had was an old raggedy Radio Shack Outdoor antenna. only thing that disrupted it was a passing tractor trailer or airplane coming in to the airport..
The warehouse next door, does it have metal siding?
It could be acting as a reflector for the weaker signals that are coming from the south.
But also, blocking the signals coming from the north.
Only thing that might work, is to raze up the antenna.
Then with a portable signal strength meter, find the right height and pointing direction for best reception.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

the warehouse is on my right ( facing my house ) My antenna is already about 20ft up.. I'd have to get a telescopic antenna pole if i go higher,, then would need guy wires.. trying to avoid that... But I haven't given up yet..
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

The LAVA Antenna......
Is it this one.
Or is it this one.
Unfortunately both are consider Junk by most Antenna Installers.

You could try "Stacking" two Antenna's.
Here's an old article from Popular Electronics: https://www.rfcafe.com/references/popul ... r-1965.htm

dyarker

Post by dyarker »

The lower image is the omni directional, the upper image is directional. I think dacflyer said he had two omnis one Lava one he can't remember (the brand?).

The Lava ad says it has gain. That is due to a built in amplifier, it amplifies noise from all directions and multipath from wide angles. Directionals have gain from the front and loss from angles/sides/back. Amplifier then helps with distance from station and cable loss.

So dacflyer has weak signal because of the distances stated and bad signal to noise ratio because the garbage is also amplified. I'm amazed he sees any picture at all!

Side issue 1: Is there lightning protection on the cable before entry into the house?

Side issue 2: Is the cable RG-6 or RG-59? (Rg-6 has less loss (especially at UHF), and better shielding.)

Cheers,
Dale Y
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

dyarker wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:08 pm The lower image is the omni directional, the upper image is directional. I think dacflyer said he had two omnis one Lava one he can't remember (the brand?).
Well, I suggest he should look at a better Antenna, and maybe stacking the two directional Antennas.
One pointing south, the other north.
dyarker wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:08 pmSo dacflyer has weak signal because of the distances stated and bad signal to noise ratio because the garbage is also amplified. I'm amazed he sees any picture at all!
dyarker wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:08 pmSide issue 1: Is there lightning protection on the cable before entry into the house?
Agreed, make sure you have the Antenna(s) properly grounded, with lightning protection.
dyarker wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:08 pmSide issue 2: Is the cable RG-6 or RG-59? (Rg-6 has less loss (especially at UHF), and better shielding.)
RG-6U has been the standard for a while.
But If you got the money, RG-11 is a much better Coaxial Cable, with better shielding and limited signal loss.

haklesup

Post by haklesup »

While I question whether multi-path or just plain old blocked signal is the root cause, A better antenna or position should help. With DTV, most people can do fine with a flat indoor antenna but maybe a directional roof areal is what you need. I do want to point out there are some pretty interesting DIY antenna designs on the web that might be a fun project. I just searched on "DIY HDTV antenna" and found so many, I don't want to pick one to recommend here. Many of these projects have articles explaining how they work and blogs etc. They seem to favor the Multi Element antenna similar to the LAVA pictured in a above. An image search shows a wide range or creative antenna ideas.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Most of the DIY antennae I've seen have been of the Bowtie style. My dear, departed brother-in-law made a decent sized version thereof and hung it in his garage attic and received all the OTA stations withing a 90 mile radius. Only thing he had in his way, other than his own wooden structure, were the trees out around him. He lived in a fairly heavy wooded area. Granted, most of the stations were within, I'd say, 40 or so miles, but there were a few outliers.
Hey, what do I know?
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Bowtie style Antenna's are good for receiving the UHF bands.
They also are directional.
Here is the radiated reception pattern of just a single Bowtie, with no reflector.Image
You can see that reception is best at 0 or 180 degrees.
By adding a reflector to the Bowtie. you can increase the reception range in one direction, but limit it on the reflector side.
Most OTA is being broadcast on UHF{Channels 14-63}, and some on VHF{Channels 7-13}.
Thanks to the Analog Shut Off, of 2009.
Cell Phone companies, and WIFI type Internet providers have taken over the Lower frequencies {Channels 0 - 6 VHF},
and Higher frequencies {Channels 64 - 83 UHF}.
Thus, OTA Antenna's are picking up these signals, as well as the regular broadcast signals.
Causing interference, with the ASTC tuners on televisions.
OTA Noise filter can be added to the Antenna, to stop some of the interference.
But there is one other signal source that will mess up your reception, especially if you have older 300 ohm antenna cabling, or poor antenna cabling.
LED Light Bulbs.
Here's a graph of the radiated noise that it is caused by different types of LED bulbs.
The reason is the PWM Circuits that are used in the Bulbs.
So, if your reception gets worse at night, after you turn on a LED Light.
This is why. :roll:
{Thou. LED Bulb manufacturers have known about the problem, and have been re-designing the PWM Circuits to oscillate at frequencies that don't interfere with OTA radio frequencies. Only you can end up paying more for these LED Bulbs, and some manufacturers just don't care, and just keep making the noisy RF Bulbs.}

dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Janitor Tzap >> The bottom one LAVA flat with wings..

dyarker >> Yes , using RG6 cable , No lightning protection..yet.

Janitor Tzap >> I'm thinking that 2 antenna is a better idea.. Just have to rethink things. and buy stuff..
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Hey Dacflyer,

Check out this video from "The Antenna Man" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9118Hw8wZHA
He discusses issues involved with Multiple Antenna Setups.
He also talks about a new type of Powered Signal Combiner that solves most problems with Weak Signals,
and Multi-Path Interference.