cable tv service

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
moe

cable tv service

Post by moe »

If I discontinue my cable service boxes would there be enough signal from the coax to connect direct to the TV for basic channel reception ?
Janitor Tzap

Re: cable tv service

Post by Janitor Tzap »

If I discontinue my cable service boxes would there be enough signal from the coax to connect direct to the TV for basic channel reception ?
That depends.....
Here's how DISH Network does there Satellite setup.
But here is a simple Over The Air Antenna Setup.
Now....
If your dropping your Satellite/Cable TV provider, opting to go OTA.
You can reuse the RG-6U Cable.
And you may even be able to reuse some signal splitters.
And Signal Amplifiers.
But I would first go out to TVFOOL and get a TV signal map of your area.
https://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option ... view&id=66

Hope this helps you.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Isn't everything scrambled so it can be unscrambled in the box? (even basic channels) And the cable company could disconnect the cable to your house from the splitter to prevent use of black market box to steal service.
Dale Y
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

dyarker wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:28 am Isn't everything scrambled so it can be unscrambled in the box? (even basic channels) And the cable company could disconnect the cable to your house from the splitter to prevent use of black market box to steal service.
Now that I re-looked at Moe's question.
I agree with dyarker, and you'll still need the Decoder Box, even for just the very basic channels if your still connected to the Cable Provider.
Some 30 - 40 years back, you could get televisions that had cable tuners.
Thus, you didn't need a Decoder Box.
But when Digital Scrambling started getting implemented, being used in (DVB) Digital teleVision Broadcasting,
a Common Scrambling Algorithm (CSA).
Most manufacturers stopped making televisions with cable tuners.
And even if you have a TV with one, it will most likely not be compatible with the Cable Provider's system.

dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Some 30 - 40 years back, you could get televisions that had cable tuners.
Thus, you didn't need a Decoder Box.
Yes, when cable was just standard modulation, but had more channels than broadcast TV. They (cable company) could also use frequencies between VHF TV and UHF TV because the signal was confined to the cable, not radiated "over-the-air". A TV with built in extra channel tuner, or an external tuner that converted signal to a broadcast channel, could be used to watch cable.

The cable companies found that some people climbed poles and made illegal taps, or they used a splitter to share in an apartment building. Theft of service!

First came analog scrambling, then digital. A splitter could be used between the "box" and TV, but everyone had to watch the same channel. This encouraged a "box" for each TV (and paying subscription fees).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moe,

Are you too far out for OTA (Over-The-Air)?

Cheers,
Dale Y
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Here's another option: Pluto TV
https://pluto.tv/welcome

From what I've read on the website.
All you need is a Internet connection, that you can connect to a streaming ready device.
{Computer, Laptop, Internet Ready Television, Streaming Dongle for Television, Tablet, or Smart phone.}
Once you get registered, and setup the device(s), there is no fees.

Only thing that would be a problem, is the speed of your current Internet Provider.
I have found that any transfer speed that is less than 50MB's on Wireless Systems{WIFI} is going to cause delays or buffering of videos.
And the more people accessing your home network, the worse it will be.

solar3000

Post by solar3000 »

It looks like you are able to post on a forum on the internet. Therefore, you have internet service. Why not just skip the dinosaur teevee?
I watch many old and new movies on youtube, etc... You can choose free or paid stuff to watch.
What's on the legacy device that you want to watch that's not already on the internet?
moe

Post by moe »

Thanks for all the input went withRoku
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Roku is a good choice for streamer if you are not already paying for Prime then the Fire stick is really cheap and very fast compared to an actual smart TV in some cases. If you have a smart TV, then you don't even need either, that's all built into the new OS based TVs. It all comes down to finding a cheap reliable Internet ISP.