Looking for long range HF RFID antenna

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
peternilsson

Looking for long range HF RFID antenna

Post by peternilsson »

Hi, I am looking for long range 13.56 MHz HF RFID antenna for my work. I tried several antennas but their accuracy rate was not high and it took me a lot of time.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Thank!
dyarker

Re: Looking for long range HF RFID antenna

Post by dyarker »

What do you consider "long range"?
Dale Y
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Not a simple task given RFID was always intended for short to medium range to provide isolation to other nearby tags. The tag itself determines the range more so than the receiver given how its tiny radio burst signal strength decays at a rate equal to the cube of its distance to the receiver.

Shielding the area of detection from as much EMI as you can seems like a good place to start. Also look for a better RFID processor that has better error correction, perhaps correlates to your database rather than a cold read of whatever it has.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJmM_kbtZIg
https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/R ... 3d8b6ebc2b

you can educate yourself more at the prime chipmaker sites and app notes, data sheets etc
https://www.nxp.com/products/rfid-nfc:RFID-NFC

Another strategy is to place the transmit antenna closer, so you are sure to fully energize the tag, then try the receiver further away. It's not clear that the tag got a full charge during the read, may stop transmitting early or below normal level. This may not yield much.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Failed spam attempt?
OP didn't know how to put in a link?
Dale Y
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Perhaps, but it's not impossible someone might actually join this forum, Is it?
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Its a good thing when they do. But wouldn't they come back if they seriously meant their question?
Dale Y
Janitor Tzap

Time to Hijack this thread!

Post by Janitor Tzap »

RFID Antenna......
What about a standard FM 88 MHz to 108 MHz Frequencies Antenna?

I have a little GE Clock Radio that uses a antenna wire wrapped around the AC Power Cord for reception.
This normally works okay, but I have to move the Power Cord around sometimes to get the station in better.
Or Re-tune it on the radio dial.

Now, there are AM/FM Antenna boosters around, but I have yet to find one that I can use with this clock radio.
Or come up with a solution that is better than the Inductive Antenna, that uses the Power Cord. :???:

Signed: Janitor Tzap
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Just unwrapping the antenna coupling wire from the power cord probably messes with the impedance the antenna input amplifier expects to see. Might need to add an inductor to the wire before interfacing to a whip or rod antenna to match the right impedance. Without a schematic and specs for the RF amplifier, it would be a wild guess. Try emulating the wire wrapped around an air core (same turns and diameter as power cord) and then series to a rod antenna.