Ring Spotlight Camera

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
moe

Ring Spotlight Camera

Post by moe »

Has anyone connected a WIFI Antenna to a Ring camera to improve signal strength ?
dacflyer

Re: Ring Spotlight Camera

Post by dacflyer »

Not sure you can, unless you go into the unit.. A Wifi Extender would be the easiest to do.. they are small and compact.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Here's a video on how to trouble shoot WIFI Issues with your WIFI devices, and some possible solutions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3E04b948tE

Signed: Janitor Tzap
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Had a friend that was having phantom door bell issues. His electronic doorbell was randomly ringing, but the RING doorbell wasn't giving any notifications or detecting things.. I remember from other kinds of doorbell cameras, there was always a dummy load resistor to use with electronic doorbells.
Ring doesn't use them for some reason... plus i noticed that the ring camera battery was slightly low. I'm thinking that the low battery may have triggered the doorbell ?? adding in the dummy load resistor seems to have fixed the issue. battery is full now.. I'm thinking that the electronic doorbell wasn't enough load to be able to charge the battery... but all is well now..
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Well, you know what they say about manufacturers these days:
Save a penny, charge a buck.
Hey, what do I know?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

I was given a pair of RING flood light cameras the other day as well, The Flood lights had failed, I thought that the lights were integral of the camera, But looking closer, i saw that the led driver is separate from the camera..and the lights were actually removable from the fixture.. So i removed the leds and the driver.
I went to Home Cheapo bought some flood light sockets,and bought led flood light bulbs, Bing , Bang Boon, Done,, tested, worked just fine, and now if a led fails, just change the bulb.. really easy fix...and i spent about $45.00 total to fix 2 of the cameras...
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

dacflyer wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:56 am I was given a pair of RING flood light cameras the other day as well, The Flood lights had failed, I thought that the lights were integral of the camera, But looking closer, i saw that the led driver is separate from the camera..and the lights were actually removable from the fixture.. So i removed the leds and the driver.
I went to Home Cheapo bought some flood light sockets,and bought led flood light bulbs, Bing , Bang Boon, Done,, tested, worked just fine, and now if a led fails, just change the bulb.. really easy fix...and i spent about $45.00 total to fix 2 of the cameras...
See, backyard engineering often exceeds manufacturer's engineering! (better get that patented REAL quick! :wink: )
Hey, what do I know?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Ehhh.. Not worth it.. maybe offer a repair service for those..lol
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

dacflyer wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:53 am Ehhh.. Not worth it.. maybe offer a repair service for those..lol
Market that as R-T-R upgrade.
I bet that by the time those original LEDs are done, the warranty is up, so they can't come back at you for anything.
Hey, what do I know?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

the led lights and the driver seem to fail not long after the warranty fails...
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

dacflyer wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:31 am the led lights and the driver seem to fail not long after the warranty fails...
Planned obsolescence at it's best.

Stuff like this is the reason Right to Repair is a big deal. Being able to repair or modify something out of warranty without any need to go through manufacturer pairing, etc. is a basic ownership right, and any manufacturer that fights after that point is in breach of common contract, in my opinion. /rant off/

I know, you don't have to go through that in this instance, but more and more often, that is the case. /2nd rant off/
Hey, what do I know?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

rant on, I know what you mean..
The thing was easy to fix,, wouldn't mind to show others..
As a matter of fact, I have the cameras already spoken for, Buddy offered me 100$ ea..