Basics Article on Using Accelerometers?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
scampa123

Basics Article on Using Accelerometers?

Post by scampa123 »

Does anyone know if there has been published in N&V a basics article on using an accelerometer in Arduino projects?

I've found various articles on the web, but am still trying to get my head around how to use one in my projects. Unfortunately I've found that the sample code which comes with things such as MPU6050 are a bit complex for me, so I need a simpler overview to get my head around it.

I'm hoping there has been a good article I can pull up from N&v!!

Thank you!!
haklesup

Re: Basics Article on Using Accelerometers?

Post by haklesup »

Don't let a steep learning curve turn you off, keep at it and eventually you'll obtain critical mass and an understanding. I've often said, if it doesn't make you angry, you aren't learning.

I am aware of three types, Analog output, Serial output and the gyro I am not so familiar with. I would think the digital serial output type would be easiest to implement, you just need to figure out how to read the data properly and pass that off to the application. the Analog output types need a controller with multiple A to D built in making it a bit more involved. Most of these are MEMS devices and their construction is quite interesting.

I would start by reading multiple device datasheets from the manufacturers and look for one with good online support forums and published application notes with examples. Obviously the ones already on dev kit boards will be easiest to implement but if you plan on designing a PCB, the doors open wider.

For example, this was the second item in a search for Accelerometer on the TI website
https://www.ti.com/lit/an/slva040/slva0 ... elerometer