Question about Fast adaptive charging

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
haklesup

Re: Question about Fast adaptive charging

Post by haklesup »

Here is some helpful info
https://www.androidauthority.com/fast-c ... ed-889780/
https://www.androidauthority.com/usb-po ... ry-806266/

I l got corrected on a few things, I was wrong about data handshaking.

I'm now wondering of all my nearly identical Samsung White Chargers, which one goes to which device?

I still recommend the USB V and I meters, there are many kinds now and they are useful for answering this question. The newer ones have color LCD displays and can measure W and accumulated charge making them very useful for characterizing batteries. here are 2 that caught my eye

Most flexible:
https://www.amazon.com/Testers-KJ-KayJI ... 02&sr=8-13

This one comes with a Load and costs a bit less
https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Multimet ... 32&sr=8-15
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

the 1st link i read it earlier somewhere when i was searching around.

the 2nd item on amazon is decent looking.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

"the 2nd item on amazon is decent looking."

I agree, I just ordered one for myself for Christmas. I have several older V and I only meters (we were giving them to customers at trade shows) but this one has a lot more features, sort of like the "Kill-A-Watt" but for USB devices. I found it for $1 less from another seller BTW
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I got that USB meter and it was useful in several ways. The biggest thing I learned was that the USB cable is every bit as important as the charger and load. I found that with a longer generic USB cable, I was only able to get 435mA charge and the slow charge warning but when I changed to a short 6 inch cable, I was able to get almost 1.5A charge current to the same device using the same charger. Some medium length cables also allowed the fast charge. I haven't put my finger on the cable spec yet but it does matter and using a meter like this makes it possible to know. Additionally, one of my chargers was able to run at 15V with the device it came with which was prevented (was 5V) when I tried to use an older 5V only compatible USB current meter. I have yet to track how much charge I can get into some devices but the meter accurately tracks mWh and mAh which will make that easy, initial checks roughly track with battery capacity. I don't have a newer 5V/9V capable charger or any USB C devices to try it on yet.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

haklesup >> the cable i used was the one that came with the tablet, if it gets the needed current from the cable and wall charger, then the DC module should deliver the same. but they don't. the guy in the video just shows what the module can do with the meter he had. he never really showed how it operated with devices connected to it. just his load meter and watt meter.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

After playing with the USB meter a while I can break it down into two things you need

1. The adapter has a voltage greater than 5V, it may be 9V or 12V but can switch between voltages based on the device AND cable plugged into it
2. Use a shorter fatter USB cable. I don't know the spec but these allow for fast charging, the thinner longer cables almost always limit current somehow. I only can only be sure when using a meter.

I haven't tried a USB C device yet but its my understanding that the whole cable and connector are already designed for max charge current and data throughput. The micro USB cables seem to either favor data or charge rates but not always both.

so a 25W adapter probably has 2A and 12V maximum while my 10W Samsung adaptive charger runs 5V, 1.4A or 9V 1A depending on the device. It runs as low as 5V, 400mA with the wrong cable. The cable definitely does matter. I highly recommend the meter with the color display. Eventually I want to get a few more.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Ok, I've tested a few other devices, my buddy got a new phone with the new micro-c usb, the device actually works. with it,, i'm surprised
and his normal charger is lower power than my original charger,,,but this usb charger won;t work with my phone,, it'll only slow charge it.
doesn't make sense.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

I think if you would have read thru all the post, you'd see that it is not a knock off of anything,, it is something newer than what i am used to, and was trying to understand it more...It actually does what it claims, It was just not compatible with my tablet.