High Power Ultrasonics

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jwax

High Power Ultrasonics

Post by jwax »

Anybody play around with 100 watts+ ultrasonics?
Lots of generators out there for pest control, cleaners, etc., but would like to know if anybody has used such devices for large animal (deer specifically) control.
Wondering best frequencies to use, power levels., etc.
Many puny gadgets are available for home/farm use, but I find them woefully underpowered, such that the critters quickly get accustomed to the things, and thus ineffective.
Starting a new fruit orchard in deer country, and I want something that is truly effective in deterring deer from the trees- kinda like LRAD!
WA2RBA
CeaSaR

Re: High Power Ultrasonics

Post by CeaSaR »

Hey, what do I know?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

My friend lives in Pinehurst NC. This is a town that is built into the forest. so she has this issue of deer invading her many gardens in her back yard, the deer would blatantly walk up in the yard, look in thru the big windows, and eat all her flowers and garden stuff.. she's tried all kinds of stuff to no avail. so finally she has me to install an electric fence around all 5 of these garden beds, 5 strings, and about 5ft tall.
i even personally tested it...accidentally, luckily i had on my boots, i had some insulation. it zapped my shoulder, felt like someone popped me with a rubberband...lol anyway, she tells me that last week a deer made contact with the fence after it had rained..she said it knocked the deer half way across the yard...she hasn't seen it since..lol hopefully the word spreads among the deer...

here's another idea.. ask the local farmers of strawberry or blueberry farms, and ask them how they keep the deer out..
I've never seen them get invaded.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Yeah, the deer are quite brazen where I live too. :lol:

Had a Buck bring his whole harem of Doe's into my back yard,
while I was taking out the dogs, for they're morning constitutional.
The Buck even started mounting one Doe right in front of me and the dogs. :lol:

Signed: Janitor Tzap
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

How about an array of deer whistles attached to a compressor hose. Sort of an air horn. With a parabolic reflector, you could even make it directional.

You would still need a deer detector, solenoid and trigger circuit but that could just be a flood light motion detector and AC solenoid. Really any sudden loud noise should startle them. Internet says they have the same hearing range as humans so something too ultrasonic won't be heard by them either. I don't know the science behind the products if there is any.

Nothing more effective than an electric fence though. Lots of ideas and anecdotes online. Making the ground less attractive to walk on is another strategy and more passive.

BTW, lots of high power transducers and drivers in the ultrasonic cleaner world, some in DIY form. Piezo tweeters for car audio also have extended range that may be useful.

I think for a US system to work long term on a particular herd, they would need to separately learn to associate that sound with a threat. Anything loud enough to disturb them will probably disturb you. Those little systems work on bugs because the wavelength of the sound can resonate in the exoskeleton but a deer is a big soft animal. So a temporary electric fence accompanied by the US sound would probably provide some aversion (operant conditioning) after the fence is removed but only for a year or two. Maybe you put in a fence but don't want it powered often to protect other animals and people, this might be a good combo.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Nice one, CeaSaR! :)

The orchard is a few hundred yards into the woods, so no problem in anybody getting disturbed by any noises I make.

Electric fence is another possibility. Or booby traps. :)

Thanks guys!
WA2RBA
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

No booby traps, you don't want to injure the deer, that is probably prohibited and it increases your liabilities if a trespasser gets hurt. The electric fence if installed properly should be 100% effective and legal. If you are that far from neighbors, the safety concern is reduced, if you have dogs, they may get a lesson too, keep it high enough to allow other small critters to pass under. Most electric fences I have seen have been installed in conjunction with a wooden or other type of fence, check with your local zoning laws just in case
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

how about this ?? I haven't thought of this til now..

scarecrow motion activated sprinkler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvut1loSz74
jwax

Post by jwax »

By "booby traps", I meant the trip wire firecracker that would startle the critter that tripped it. Problem there is they're not weather proof. Maintenance headache.

Going to go with a motion-detector activated pre-recording of barking dogs. That way, I can periodically change the recording of different dogs.
It will only play for 10 seconds or so. Solar recharged, of course! :)
WA2RBA
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

I saw a motion activated Owl with flapping wings, screeching and glowing eyes. Haven't seen it but that one time.
Hey, what do I know?
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

the dog bark should work, maybe throw in a cougar growl for good measure, I can think of all sorts of things a deer should be frightened of. For the poppers, I'm recalling how we used to put freeze mist in a film container and when disturbed they would easily pop open. A motion activated camera will show you how effective it is and if there are particular individuals that don't care. No lights though, you know what deer do in the headlights.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

get some electric igniters and whistlers + motion activated...lol

booby trap = bra.....lol
jwax

Post by jwax »

haklesup wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:34 pm the dog bark should work, maybe throw in a cougar growl for good measure, I can think of all sorts of things a deer should be frightened of. For the poppers, I'm recalling how we used to put freeze mist in a film container and when disturbed they would easily pop open. A motion activated camera will show you how effective it is and if there are particular individuals that don't care. No lights though, you know what deer do in the headlights.
Could you elaborate? "Freeze mist?"
WA2RBA
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/MG ... gIn_vD_BwE

https://www.google.com/search?q=film+ca ... mUoka4TgjM

Freeze mist is used to either cool electronic components selectively to find the one that is failing due to thermal reasons or to freeze a whole section of board to see what melts first and where a short might be. It leaves a fair amount of condensation so its not used that often and its generally not environmentally friendly. Older cans were just straight CFCs, the new stuff shouldn't harm the ozone (R134 maybe).

its the same thing as dust off spray if you held that can upside down the propellent will come out.

Anyway, it goes in the film can as a liquid then when the lid is put on, it warms to room temp and expands putting a lot of pressure in the can. If the amount is just right the lid will stay on until disturbed or for a few minutes at least.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Thanks haklesup- I knew of freeze spray, but never thought to get the liquid in a closed container and have it go bang.
Dry ice works too! :)
WA2RBA