Making hydrogen from water & DC

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Mike6158

Re: Making hydrogen from water & DC

Post by Mike6158 »

Not to sound snippy but fill your open mind with some knowledge of physics then you will be able to see why this topic is male bovine fecal matter.<p>Read some of the responses. Hydrogen doesn't just fall out of water. It takes energy to break the bond. MORE THAN YOU GET FROM THE HYDROGEN. A LOT MORE. Next, take some time to learn a little simple chemistry. The VOLUME of hydrogen that would be required to make even a small amount of difference is fairly LARGE. You would need a source. A large source. Then you would need the additional horsepower to carry the source. Next, let's assume, incorrectly, that you can derive enough hydrogen and oxygen from water to make a difference. How are you going to control it?<p>Fill that open mind with knowledge that should be available to ANYONE with a high school education and you MIGHT just be able to understand why bs like this raises the ire of EDUCATED and INTELLIGENT people. Lest you think I'm some snobby college boy, think again. I graduated from high school. That's it. Everything else I know comes from wanting to know. It's not that hard to do...
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

The only way to make practical hydrogen for free "so to speak" at the present moment, is through the use of wasted energy that we presently throw away. <p>There is no free lunch in physics, but there is a recycled one. <p>"Boiler Plate" technology has proven this fact over 20 years ago and it is still feasible today.
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Chris Smith:
The only way to make practical hydrogen for free "so to speak" at the present moment, is through the use of wasted energy that we presently throw away. <p>There is no free lunch in physics, but there is a recycled one. <p>"Boiler Plate" technology has proven this fact over 20 years ago and it is still feasible today.<hr></blockquote><p>Very true but will it (1) fit under the hood of a car (2) offset the hp required to haul the source (water around) (3) be controllable (weight and size question apply to controller).. etc, etc...<p>As you said... no free lunch in Physics.
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

There are plenty of open minds here, especially if corroborating evidence, theories or explanations can be shared for the enticement of discussion. When a person continually asks for some sort of confirmation and is given nothing more than the general run around via the use of sketchy promises and nothing more, then that person gets tired of asking and tries to either force the issue or show the other party that their actions are not productive in any way.<p>That being said, new breakthroughs would be something that this board would welcome. Wouldn't you have wanted to be there when Einstein discovered his theory of relativity? How about Marconi, Tesla, Edison, Curie, etc., etc.? The list goes on and on. Without these people and their discoveries/inventions, our life would not be what it is today.<p>Learning never stops. The person that thinks they have nothing more to learn is the real fool. The only bad question is the one that was never asked.<p>CeaSaR<p>BTW, high school, then LOTS of reading. I've lost count of all the books, magazines, pamphlets, etc. that have passed these eyes. And I'm still here reading this forum and many others.
Hey, what do I know?
philba

Post by philba »

Appologies to Sherry Lewis...<p>This is the thread that never ends,
it just goes on and on my friends.
Some people started typing it
not knowing what it was
and then they kept on typing it because
this is the thread that never ends...<p>[ January 25, 2005: Message edited by: philba ]</p>
JB-82-Delft

Post by JB-82-Delft »

To make this thread even longer:<p>The world should get rid of the whole fuel-burning-powerplant-idea. There are so much nicer alternatives (all hastely patented by Shell or companies like your sincere president's oilcompany), like the Solar Chimney, or the solar collector in space 'beaming' energy to us. Name it.<p>I blame capitalism :)
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

NE5U <p> Yes to all of the above. It been tested proven and approved by the DOT [in theory] back in the early 80s as safe and reliable. And this was a combustion engine where as today we can use fuel cells and electric motors as they improve daily.<p>Aluminum Hydride safely stores the pure liquid hydrogen making it safe from any ruptures, and almost any standard engine can be used with provisions in the seal and Carburetor/injector department for the caustic Hydrogen. Very little modifications are needed.<p>The BTU equivalence is irrelevant because it burns, it produces power, its not in a race or competition with hydrocarbons for who has more power, and it expels water unlike its cousin the HC polluter.<p> How much HP you get back is based on the same paramaters today depending on what size motor you chose, neither relevent to this cause. <p>All of this has been provisional work on smaller cars so that larger amounts of hydrogen aren’t wasted. <p>But basically the Hydrogen car will ultimately start out as a commuter car where smaller and cleaner are already desired.
Bernius1

Post by Bernius1 »

OOH, I hope I made it to page 7 !!
GRRRRRRR !!!!!
A) Einstein's genius isn't in E=MC², but in the DERIVATION of the theorem. Masterful !
B) Regardless of energy type, it still takes (n)ft-lbs of torque to move a Camry a foot.
C) A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
D) An expert in one field probably isn't an expert in an unrelated field.
E) Charlatans always get a fresh audience.
F) No free lunches.
G) Knowledge comes at the cost of self-sacrifice and humility. That's why the most intelligent contributors are not cocky. A learner always wants to learn. And isn't that what this forum is about anyway?
Can't we end all posts with a comical quip?
slingshot

Post by slingshot »

I am posting a website you need to read. It is discussing how to break the coulomb bond using light(photons) with different and specific resonance. The harmnonic resonance is when the photon's resonance is harmonic with the particle it contacts.<p>http://philmintz.tripod.com/Chemistry/page7.html<p>Notice the '7' at the end of the url. Replace that number with numbers starting with 2 and read those pages also.<p>One does not use added 'heat' or 'pressure' above ambient temp and pressure.<p>It may be of interest to those who desire to learn. This has been known for some time. <p>Now I will state that separating hydrogen from oxygen using harmonic resonance is not only possible but is being done.<p>So long.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Too little too late ehh, slingshot?
You already lost all credibility.
That was the gist up front, and you failed.
Now you crawl back, saying "read this".... why?
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

The link slingshot gave is to a pretty good chemistry tutorial. If he read and understood it (starting at page 2 (there is no page 1 ???)), he'd see his claims are rubbish.<p>I think in desparation he put up a link that looks impressive to the uneducated.<p>[ January 28, 2005: Message edited by: Dale Y ]</p>
Dale Y
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Its called..." digging one self out of the hole" ... notice, the time lapse,.............................. looking for legitimate authors.<p> These people don’t have "shit" and so they sell BS manure, as a substitute
peter-f

Post by peter-f »

(did this as a kid once- using a battery charger as power source)<p>After about a week, I had enough H2 to fill a baby-food jar! (yes, also got O2, but let that go free)
Needed gold-plated pins on the ends of my wires so they wouldn't be eaten away.
Add a match, and 'Whooop!" (yes, that's what it sounded like as it went up!)- 1/4 second of fun!<p>Now, power a nation on that model!
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dale Y:
(starting at page 2 (there is no page 1 ???))
[ January 28, 2005: Message edited by: Dale Y ]
<hr></blockquote><p>When you hit previous it goes to the Index page...<p>Gotta give him an E for Effort... Of course E is just above an F...
ringo47stars

Post by ringo47stars »

Try thinking of a lead acid battery for your first sentence as there is DC applied to it it produces a strong alkali or battery and fortunately it does not produce hydrogen or the battery would explode. Then the same principal is applied to dry cells whereas it would be nice if they did not explode. Knowing this you find you need a certain substance to mix with the acid in the battery but in my experience hydrogen is too unstable to use as it will explode if aged and it ages very fast. Star Trek uses hydrogen to take the acid particles out of the atmosphere so this mix they called warp plasma which they also vented into space.