fading away

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
MicroRem

fading away

Post by MicroRem »

I don't post enough, but seems like we few hangers-on are fading. Hate to lose what was once vibrant, but to quote Jim Stafford "All good things gotta come to an end..."
dacflyer

Re: fading away

Post by dacflyer »

There's a few that went the way of the DoDo bird. I do miss a hand full of them..
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

I check in daily, often multiple times per day. Wish I had more to talk about, but work has been outrageous over the last year or more.

I've got a project on the back burner I might bring forward to hopefully garner some traction here.
Hey, what do I know?
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Likewise, I stop by every few days, and almost always jump on when I get that email about a new post. Sometimes it seems it's like like building a fire with wet wood. Maybe a flicker or two, a little smoke then it's out!
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
gerty

Post by gerty »

I haven't been on here in about a year, since retiring I haven't been on any forums much.. Don't have the time like I used to, don't know how I had time to work before...
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Interesting! I now have time to check 2 or 3 times a day. Of course I'm on my third retirement. :smile:
I think it will "stick" this time. (Wife now okay having me around all day :grin: )
Dale Y
gerty

Post by gerty »

I retired 2 years ago at 66. I stay busy with the county rescue squad (25 years) and I got elected as Constable 7 years ago... In TN Constable is a volunteer position, so I can patrol whenever I want. In between there's always somebody needing lights/sirens and radio programming...
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Its about as busy as a Fry's Electronics Store in here.

Have you been there lately, you need to clear the cobwebs to find what's left on the shelves, amazing they can keep the doors open like that.
gerty

Post by gerty »

I have an hour and a half ride to Nashville to Randolph Electronics if I want something today. Otherwise it's mail order.. Randolph has a few satellite stores that really don't have much.. Dunno how they stay open.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

I check in every now and then, but I think I'll stop by more if I can remember. Then hopefully a link to here will automatically take its place on my browsers' home pages displays of icons representing my most-used links. That would remind me to stop by more often.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

I can produce a bit more activity and have motivation to check in today here if I ask about my present problem. The garage door opener seems to be squealing. Anyway, that seems to make sense more than it being the worm gear drive. Any thoughts on if I can replace the genie drive unit cheaply as DIY?

Thanks.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Well, to further the activity, I'm at a loss as to what "seems to make sense more than it being the worm gear drive". Perhaps it got deleted accidentally while typing. I know my "new" phone does weird over-typing and bizarre auto(in)correct, so come on back with that info.

Maybe you've stumbled onto a way to keep the forum hopping, vague posting. Just fill in a blank in subsequent posts until you finished the question!
(Just having a bit of fun, no jab intended). :)
Hey, what do I know?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Some garage drive units you can easily replace. most come with a new rail and chain or if it's a screw drive..
I've replaced a handful of them,, usually the plastic gear inside fails..typical..
if they had a metal gear, they'd last forever i bet.
make sure everything is greased well,, even inside the unit.. oil the motor if you can.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

CeaSaR wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:26 am Well, to further the activity, I'm at a loss as to what "seems to make sense more than it being the worm gear drive". Perhaps it got deleted accidentally while typing. I know my "new" phone does weird over-typing and bizarre auto(in)correct, so come on back with that info.

Maybe you've stumbled onto a way to keep the forum hopping, vague posting. Just fill in a blank in subsequent posts until you finished the question!
(Just having a bit of fun, no jab intended). :)
I'm autistic and appreciate how you let me know you're kidding. If you're right and it's the worm drive and not the motor unit, that could be an easier fix.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

dacflyer wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:48 am Some garage drive units you can easily replace. most come with a new rail and chain or if it's a screw drive..
I've replaced a handful of them,, usually the plastic gear inside fails..typical..
if they had a metal gear, they'd last forever i bet.
make sure everything is greased well,, even inside the unit.. oil the motor if you can.
Indeed it's screw drive. I can plan to check out at least some of those things.