Wood, some of the best stuff for music

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
CeaSaR

Wood, some of the best stuff for music

Post by CeaSaR »

Everyone knows that wood is a pretty universal building material. It is used in just about every aspect of life from construction of buildings, forms for concrete, impression forms for sand casting metals, making furniture, handles for uncountable number of utensils, implements and tools.

In the electronics world you'll find it used mainly for boxes (speakers) and cases for equipment - amplifiers and turntables pop toward the front of the queue here.

Musically, wood is used in many instruments - guitars and other string instruments, the woodwinds -clarinet etc, drums and other percussion pieces. Well, you get the picture.

Up until now, I've been talking about how to use wood to build something. Cut it, shape it, adhere it together to form something new. The finish of the piece only comes into play when it will be viewed on a daily basis, and usually it is just with an eye to the grain, the stain/paint used to accentuate the grain, and the protective finish to keep it nice for years to come.

Many is the time you've heard the expression, "If that (thing) could talk, oh the stories it must tell." Well, now you can hear the musical stories of each individual tree. A new type of music player has been demonstrated and it is stunning. (See link below) A fusion of old and new, it combines a turntable with a visual "needle" to read the rings on a slice of tree trunk. The read head is in the head shell of the tone-arm and reads the colors of the wood as well as the ring itself, quite like the laser record player, using this information to play piano notes. What I've heard in the article is truly amazing. Finally, actual life is really interpreted into music.

Here's the article:
http://canyouactually.com/when-you-put- ... beautiful/

- CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Lenp

Re: Wood, some of the best stuff for music

Post by Lenp »

Well, it would be hard to say that it sounded "Tinny'..... :razz:
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
jwax

Re: Wood, some of the best stuff for music

Post by jwax »

Very cool! Often thought of sticking a couple of probes in a tree to "listen" in on impulses that surely exist. Or ground probes.
Anybody ever try that?
WA2RBA