Crazy Phone issues here..

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

Re: Crazy Phone issues here..

Post by dacflyer »

sounds like a money / recycling opportunity..
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

They already tear up power wires from street lighting to get the copper for recycling leaving our streets dark for months, don't give them any more ideas. Someday even our cable and FON lines will be obsolete, maybe even for a mature 5G base station solution.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

It probably was phone cable. For longer runs from the central office I've heard of 19AWG.
Dale Y
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

All over the country the local telcos, like Verizon have become indifferent to wire maintnance in the expectation that fiber services and cell phones will carry them through. No maintence is planned, overhead lashing betwen poles is rusting and cables are drooping putting stress on the wire. Abandonded wire is left hanging and only that which is essential to keep a customer from filing complaints is done.

Our area still has 1950 vintage pulp base insulated cables and finding a good pair of wires is a magic trick. Years ago they installed line concentrators that are fed by fiber then change to copper much closer to the subscriber to eliminate the long copper haul from the central office. Now the subscriber loops are going noisy and failing.. Fiber is a long way off for us, so I am going VOIP for my business line and the cost per year will be half the monthly Verizon bill with free long distance and many plus features added to it.
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)