Help to find a schematic - Coleman PMP3000

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

Help to find a schematic - Coleman PMP3000

Post by dacflyer »

I'm working on a Coleman PMP3000 Inverter, luckily the main section isn't bad. But the AC converter has shorted MOSFETS.
I'm just ordering all new MOSFETS, there is 8 of them.
this thing has 15 switcher transformers. and 15x 30amp fuses.
the transformers appear to be all in parallel.. each transformer looks like they might handle 200 watts ( they look compared to another inverter i have that has 2 of them in a 400W inverter )
if anyone has a link, or knows who the real maker is of this unit, i'd be much happy...
Janitor Tzap

Re: Help to find a schematic - Coleman PMP3000

Post by Janitor Tzap »

There's this guy on Ebay selling a schematic that he made by reverse engineering one.
https://www.ebay.com/i/231589654604?chn ... gKkVvD_BwE

Signed: Janitor Tzap
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

ya, i saw that, i don't trust it...
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

horrible reviews on Amazon for this model. One person says 100% guaranteed failure, another says 3.5A no load current on the 12V, another says it kills batteries too fast, not good for small loads. I expect you will find a Made in China somewhere on there.

Did you manage to fix it? The ebay schematic looked believable but you can probably reverse engineer it yourself if you took the time. From the blurry schematic it looks like a bunch of Class AB amplifiers in series, no wonder it is a power hog.

If the FETs were poorly mounted to the heatsink they would fail prematurely, if the unit were operated with insufficient clearance it could overheat anyway. With limited protection, the FETs could be vulnerable to inductive load power spikes.

I see a bunch that resemble it on Alibaba for reasonable price
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Yes, I did actually get it working again,, I replaced all 8 MOSFETS on the AC converter part, that board is horribly made, But the main DC-DC converter seems pretty decent. for it to work right, you do need massive cables, because at max load it draws 300Amps from the battery.
you will have to make sure your Alternator can keep up as well..
I do recommend doubling with up some welding cables for this thing. and short as possible length.
I am thinking that something had spiked the AC converter, 6 out of 8 of the MOSFETS were shorted. The other 2 , I am sure they were shorted.
but for now, it seems to be working ok. Initial test with a 1,800 watt load did good, you could really hear it work the Alternator. Made it whine.