Energy problem solved!

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jwax

Energy problem solved!

Post by jwax »

Can you believe it?
https://www.nbcxya.com/products/ecowatt ... ing-device

They show before and after electric bills and everything!

Great day to be alive!

:)
WA2RBA
CeaSaR

Re: Energy problem solved!

Post by CeaSaR »

It's on the Internet, so it must be true.
https://youtu.be/bufTna0WArc
CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

I hope your being sarcastic jwax! :roll:

This scam has been going on all over the world!

You can even find the dumb things at WALMART!

Here's a Video of one being disassembled: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXRmdDAWHMg

Signed: Janitor Tzap
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Just a power factor corrector and not a very big one either. That youtube video was very good at explaining this product and its shortcomings

Seems to be an incidence of taking real engineering theory and misapplying it to a situation to make money. Most inductive appliances already have PF correction built in, just look in any ceiling fan, the same black box caps are used.

PF Correction is mainly applicable in heavy industry where the reactive power though not measured, if significant can still cause resistive losses in the conductors which is not returned to the utility.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Yes, sarcasm was on! :)
WA2RBA
satya31

Post by satya31 »

Excellent thread..!!!
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

The truth is that it is a little ..well maybe just a bit true. If it does power factor correction the average home really doesn't need or will benefit from that. Big industry, shopping centers, factories, with large inductive loads will benefit from that, and, the power company puts those capacitors right on the line outside. It's nearly impossible for a homeowner to determine any potential benefit from gadgets like this since too many factors are in play month to month that affect the bill. It's like the letters I get from our utility company yelling at me about how much energy I used compared to my neighbors. The nearby homes are different size, age and construction and best of all are mostly unoccupied all day long. I am home, run a business and drink coffee all day...To the bean counters, numbers are numbers. So this is just another bucket full of prop wash!
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
JimAxtell

Post by JimAxtell »

Wow, I didn't think everything can be resolved in such a simple way.
HectorFreeborn

Post by HectorFreeborn »

haklesup wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:09 pm Just a power factor corrector and not a very big one either. That youtube video was very good at explaining this product and its shortcomings

Seems to be an incidence of taking real engineering theory and misapplying it to a situation to make money. Most inductive appliances already have PF correction built in, just look in any ceiling fan, the same black box caps are used.

PF Correction is mainly applicable in heavy industry where the reactive power though not measured, if significant can still cause resistive losses in the conductors which is not returned to the utility.
This is because of uneven distribution of current over the cross section of the conductor leads to a significant reduction in the cross section of the actual current-carrying part of it and, consequently, to an increase in its active resistance.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

If you are referring to the skin effect, I think that is negligible at 60/120 hz.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Methinks this 'skin effect' is when the purchaser...Gets Skinned! :razz:
Len

dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

My power company complained that i wasn't using enough.. they audited my meter to make sure it wasn't tampered with.
I have streamlined a lot of power hungry items.
All my lights are leds, inside and out. and some of them are my home made solar powered lights.
Mostly 50W leds with motion sensors.
And soon i will build me a battery bank and solar station.. i'll be using a 2 or 3Kw Inverter.. 48V system.
Then the power company will be really pissed.
I plan to install isolated circuits in the house for this. and as a back up.. I'll have a transfer switch to switch over to main power if the battery bank gets too low, But for the most part, it should be staying on solar. It'll be running mostly the lights, tv, stereo, etc.
But i'll still have the fridges, hot water heater, well pump etc. running on main power.
I installed a clothesline. so that helps a bit more. I'd like to get a solar water heater as well one day.
My electric bill for last month was just $119.00
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

My power company scolds me because I use more than my neighbors but, they are gone all day so it's low power consumption. Some have oil or propane heat, and we are home all day, all electric, and I run a small business in the basement with an acre of fluorescent lamps. There's no true comparison to life styles or occupancy uses other their one minded comparison based of the size of the residence. As one of their stockholder I am unhappy that they waste my money sending customers letters telling them to use less!
Len

dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

who cares how much you use...after all you're paying for what you use..that's what the electric meter is for..
would be different if there was a energy crisis.
jwax

Post by jwax »

You're on the right track dacflyer! Dunno about your locality, but up here in the dreary north, I'm thinking dollar-for-dollar that I may be better off with a wind generator rather than solar. 24/7 when the wind blows, which is almost always.
WA2RBA