Antenna Cable Routing.........

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Janitor Tzap

Antenna Cable Routing.........

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Okay, I need an opinion on this Satellite/Antenna wiring diagram.
DSS3.bmp
DSS3.bmp (137.93 KiB) Viewed 7206 times
I'm planning on putting a Signal Spliter on the cable going to the #1 Wall Jack,
instead of just going to the #4 Wall Jack and connecting the TV too it.

The reason I'm thinking of doing it this way, is because the TV I want to connect up is in the basement.
All the Wall Jacks are on the first level of the house.
So I would need to drill up to the Wall Jack, and #4 Wall Jack is right above the furnace.
Making it impossible to get at :x, but the #1 Wall Jack I can easily get too it.

My worry about this is that the signal spliter will cause to much signal loss for the DSS Reciever and the TV connected to the same line. :???:

Signed: Janitor Tzap
haklesup

Re: Antenna Cable Routing.........

Post by haklesup »

My experience with RF antenna Splitters is that you can split 3 maybe 4 times at most and then the signal gets too low to be reliable. I recommend a powered amplified splitter if you do it that way but not for any cable that may go to a router.

if that really is a 4 way switch then it appears you split 3 ways on the left hand output so you can probably get away with it. If that is in turn another splitter then you have 7 loads and it will probably be too weak

In my house I come in on 2 cable boxes but then go out of those to two 4 way HDMI splitters that feed to otherTVs in the house. A user can select either box from the HDMI input and use a RF remote to control the box outside the room. Usually one is for my exclusive use and the other is shared between a bedroom and living room. I got cheap splitters on ebay and when they started to flash I thought one was dead but it was just the cheapo wall wart that failed.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi.
Consider if your satellite receivers DC fed on coaxial to the dish LNB do not interact improperly with the path trough/into several devices.
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Okay,

So basicily I need one of these type of signal spliters.
Thus, It will allow power from the DSS Receiver Box to get back too the 4-Way Switcher, and to the Dual LNB.
I have some 13db In-line Amplifiers that I can add in also.
But would it be best too install it before the signal spliter, or after connected to the line going to the DSS Receiver Box?

Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi Tzap.
I would test first for signal sufficiency and insert a preamplifier only if weak, at a point before signal gets distributed and passes so many connectors. That would be LNB output.
Perhaps the diplexers/switch/splitter could be modified disconnecting their (choked) power path/feed ports going to the devices that should not expect powered input; or inserting power blockers to them.

----> https://www.parts-express.com/cable-tv- ... r--180-192
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Earlier in this thread I complained about a cheap wall wart. When I opened it up, I found one of the 4 input rectified diodes with one leg not ever soldered to the board. it didn't fall out, it was far from the hole and clean. I'm shocked that it actually worked for several months like that
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

haklesup wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:36 am Earlier in this thread I complained about a cheap wall wart. When I opened it up, I found one of the 4 input rectified diodes with one leg not ever soldered to the board. it didn't fall out, it was far from the hole and clean. I'm shocked that it actually worked for several months like that.
Yeah,

I've come across quite a few cheaply made Wall-Warts. :roll:
Many were two diode; full wave rectifier, with a 1000uf filter capacitor.
No PCB, just the leads twisted together, and maybe the diodes tack-soldered to the secondary winding of the power transformer.
Though, I've seen the diode leads wire-wrapped to the posts of the secondary winding of the power transformer also. :roll:

As for my cabling issue.......
I'll try putting in just the signal spliter first, and see if I will need the inline amplifier or not.

haklesup

Post by haklesup »

While the wall wart had a stable no load voltage, it pulses when plugged into the device, its trash now. Seems it operated in a sort of half wave mode for a while until something else failed. Easy enough to replace except the connector is normally used for 12V DC so I'll need to splice it to a USB cable
jwax

Post by jwax »

From the diagram, you're also running the cable through the Surge Protector power strip. That's a no-no, as a Spectrum tech removed mine as causing all sorts of interference in my whole neighborhood. Sure, not all Surge Protector strips are equal, just a word of warning.
WA2RBA
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

jwax wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:51 am From the diagram, you're also running the cable through the Surge Protector power strip. That's a no-no, as a Spectrum tech removed mine as causing all sorts of interference in my whole neighborhood. Sure, not all Surge Protector strips are equal, just a word of warning.
This Cable Diagram was done when the Satellite/Antenna System was setup and installed.
Thus, there is an error in the wording. :wink:

The Surge Protector power strip is only setup for the Phone Line, and the AC Power.
The Satellite/Antenna Cabling is only Grounded.
Sorry about that.... :lol: