Television Conundrum SOLVED.......

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Janitor Tzap

Television Conundrum SOLVED.......

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Well, the old 1997 Toshiba 27" Stereo NTSC TV has started to show signs of vertical failure.
{Vertical retrace lines and picture fold over at the top of the screen.}
Pulled it out of the entertainment center cabinet, and replace it with a new 2018 28" LG Stereo ATSC\NTSC LED TV.

The Toshiba's CRT was already weak, before the vertical started to fail.
I did a rejuv/cleaning on it, but even with screen controls maxed out.
The brightness & contrast are poor, thus the screen is dim.

Now.........
Should I fix the vertical problem, and try selling or giving it away? :?
OR
Pay $25 to $40 Dollars to have it Recycled? :?

Signed: Janitor Tzap
dacflyer

Re: Television conundrum.......

Post by dacflyer »

the vertical fold over problem is easy to fix.
look around the vertical IV, there is a low value and high voltage cap maybe 4.7Uf @ 160V , maybe a few other caps,, but typically them caps are bad and easy to replace,,
i have done hundreds of them on all sorts and sizes of tube TV's
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Charlott's web now says.... $1.49Lb.
LoL...
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

dacflyer wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:35 am the vertical fold over problem is easy to fix.
look around the vertical IV, there is a low value and high voltage cap maybe 4.7Uf @ 160V , maybe a few other caps,, but typically them caps are bad and easy to replace,,
i have done hundreds of them on all sorts and sizes of tube TV's
I have also, It's not a big deal to repair the Vertical section.

The Big Deal Is:
#1) The CRT is WEAK.
It won't take a Rejuv or Cleaning of it's electron guns.
Even if I fix the Vertical problem.
The CRT is likely to fail in about a year or so.

#2) Can I in good conscious RE-Sell or give this TV to someone, knowing that the CRT is failing.

#3) Paying out the $25 to $40 dollars to recycle the TV.

haklesup

Re: Television Conundrum.......

Post by haklesup »

Now.........
Seriously, do you really think Anyone wants it? Even in perfect condition. It probably takes 5X more electricity to run than an equivalent LCD never mind the space it takes up.

Do you really need to pay to recycle it? Why the heck do we pay a recycling fee when we buy a new TV (or does your state not do that). In CA it is free but you need to provide contact info so the recycler can claim the fee from the fund that is collected when you buy that new TV.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

haklesup wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:03 pm
Now.........
Seriously, do you really think Anyone wants it? Even in perfect condition. It probably takes 5X more electricity to run than an equivalent LCD never mind the space it takes up.
Strangely enough, there are some gamer's with old gaming consoles, and people who have old HI-end Video Players.
They want the old CRT sets that have the RCA Jack Input\Outputs.
Instead of trying to find a HDMI to RCA Jack Converter.
haklesup wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:03 pmDo you really need to pay to recycle it? Why the heck do we pay a recycling fee when we buy a new TV (or does your state not do that). In CA it is free but you need to provide contact info so the recycler can claim the fee from the fund that is collected when you buy that new TV.
Unfortunately, the recycler's here charge you to take most large electronic items.
{TV's 12" and up, Home Stereo Equipment, Microwaves, Large Appliances}.
Best Buy use too have a policy of not charging for TV's. But after people started just dumping any old TV on them.
They changed the policy. :cry:

Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Our local landfill and Goodwill say nada to CRT sets. I wouldn't even take off the back to scrounge for parts, but if it had old style 'bunny ears' antenna, I might salvage the chrome plated brass tubing for other uses. Nope, I would not even cut off the line cord! Gone...
Don't want to pay a disposal fee? Take it apart and hide it bit by bit in the can each trash day :smile:
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Here's something I forgot this television set has......

It's PIP {Picture In Picture} Feature.
You can watch baseball and a movie at the same time.
Or connect it to the Camera at the front door to see who is there while watching something else.

haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I loved PIP and simply can't understand why a modern 4k TV doesn't have it by now. I gave it a pass on the early generations but present chipsets have plenty of speed and bandwidth to accomplish the task. I had split screen on my 2016 Samsung and could at least use the browser and watch OTA TV (not another HDMI Input though) but the 2017 and newer models don't even have that. Even attempts at 3D are gone.

Granted the need is less if you have good cable and a DVR, you can browse a program guide on another device and change the channel with an app or even use that device as the PIP.

I suspect the DMCA screwed it all up for digital video but left openings for OTA video and apps that stream allowing for split screen but not PIP of HDMI inputs crippling the feature to the point of what's the point.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Janitor Tzap >> just drop it off at a donation center, or at one of them drop boxes ( donation dumpsters you see in shopping centers )
some 3rd world country might still take em..lol
i know for a while, there used to be a van truck going around and wanting all the CRT tv's he could take back to mexico..
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

If the pic tube is going, even old time gamers won't want it. As tempting as it may be to fix it, it's at EOL.

Do you have hazardous household waste / electronics disposal day in your neck of the woods? We have them, like, twice a year where I live. Maybe hold on til then?

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

CeaSaR wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:24 pm If the pic tube is going, even old time gamers won't want it. As tempting as it may be to fix it, it's at EOL.
Yeah, that's why I'm waffling as to what to do with it. :roll:
CeaSaR wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:24 pmDo you have hazardous household waste / electronics disposal day in your neck of the woods? We have them, like, twice a year where I live. Maybe hold on til then?

CeaSaR
Unfortunately no. :cry:
dacflyer wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:33 pm Janitor Tzap >> just drop it off at a donation center, or at one of them drop boxes ( donation dumpsters you see in shopping centers )
some 3rd world country might still take em..lol
i know for a while, there used to be a van truck going around and wanting all the CRT tv's he could take back to mexico..
:lol:
Story:
At the one Repair shop I worked at, we would get these guys from Mexico showing up once or twice a year,
and buying up all the BETA VCRs that we had.
Didn't matter what the condition was. I remember the boss asking them what they need them for.
Well, the BETA Format was big down in Mexico, but parts were hard to come by.
Thus, they would come up to the states and buy any BETA machine they could get.
Bring them back too their shop, and either scavenge the parts for Customers BETA machine to repair it.
Or if they had enough of the same model BETA Machines, make one or two good ones to sell.

Well, maybe I'll ask the folks at the local Junk Yard if they would like it.
{Some years back I was getting rid of a 27" SONY. One of the guy's working there saw it, and was more than happy to take it.}

haklesup

Post by haklesup »

If a charity will take it at a manned donation station, Fine. But don't dump it in or beside an unmanned clothing/shoe drop off, that's just pushing it off onto someone else who still may have to pay. My Goodwill has a sign saying do not leave donations when unmanned, it may be considered illegal dumping. you already know it has no useful life left, its not qualified to donate.

Don't know where your neck of the woods is or I might make specific suggestions. All I can say is check your city or local landfill website and pay the darn fee. your alternative is to make it small enough to fit in your trash can and ignore the HazMat aspect
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

the county landfill here, you can dump it off for free , but they do charge for whitegoods ( appliances )
Janitor Tzap

Re: Television Conundrum SOLVED.......

Post by Janitor Tzap »

UPDATE:

Well, the old Toshiba has been recycled.
A new Recycling Center opened near me.
They only charged me $15 to take it.
Well, it beats having to pay $25 or $40 to have it recycled.