surge voltages

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
vishal4321

surge voltages

Post by vishal4321 »

How to protect the power supply against over voltages or surge voltages?
dyarker

Re: surge voltages

Post by dyarker »

Some indication of size? Voltage and current of load being protected?

ie. a computer and printer - a surge protection power outlet strip around $10 at (like) Home Depot or Lowe's
Or an UPS from (maybe like) Best Buy

Cheers,
Dale Y
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Crowbar circuit, MOV, power strip surge supressor, or one of the ones I really want, Brick Wall. See http://www.Brickwall.com for details.
Hey, what do I know?
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

CeaSaR wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:29 am Crowbar circuit, MOV, power strip surge supressor, or one of the ones I really want, Brick Wall. See http://www.Brickwall.com for details.
Yeah, I remember seeing one of the first Brickwalls being demo'd at a electronics\computer fair.
It performed as the presenter claimed.
Even had guy's who were demoing they're battery backup systems coming over too challenge it.
They had setup a logging Oscilloscope to capture the sine wave when you switched from the AC Main to the AC Inverter.
Thus, you could compare the "Bump" during the the switch over.
Only one Inverter system could equal it, but It was for a server farm, and was in the $1000's.
While the Brickwall listed at $699.99.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i remember the motto "A Brick won't Fail" now they say a brick wall... did they upgrade the wall ? did Trump have anything to do with it...lol
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

It's been Brick Wall since sometime in the 90's when I first read about them in Popular Electronics.

And it may cost more, but you, your children, grandchildren and maybe even great-grandchildren will have it. Try that with a regular surge supressor.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Hope this isn't sneaky spam.
Hey, what do I know?
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

CeaSaR wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:00 am Hope this isn't sneaky spam.
Yeah, I think your right CeaSaR. :(
The link in the second post that vishal4321 is for an online learning course.

Well, this is a new type of SPAMMING BOT.
Baits you first with an appropriate subject for the forum it's posting in, watches for a response, then posts the response with the link.
Though, I bet the simpler BOT's were getting confused by the "General" Forum that is used here.

dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i remember the ads in N&V magazine when it was still regular paper ( the big magazine ),,before the shinny paper crap..
I hate shinny paper..lol
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

That was my sneaky way of calling out the spam. I recognized the type of link even before I checked it out. (Yep, same type!)

Well, at least it started a conversation! (We could keep this one and get rid of the OP's 2nd reply. Could still be useful.)

And yeah, shinny paper is horrible in most cases. :D

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

I went and read up on SSD drives, and found a troubling problem with them.
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

Unlike a HDD that has a physical Disc that is the storage medium.
SSD use a electrical storage similar too a EEPROM.
So if you have a power supply that is flaky, or Noisy AC Power Line, Voltage Spikes.
These can cause data to be corrupted, lost, or even kill a SSD more readily than a HDD.
So, it has become more important than ever too keep backups, and have a good AC Surge Protector, AC Line Voltage Stabilizer, and UPS.

haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Just like HDDs there are multiple Reliability grades of SDD drives and solid state memory, one can get a more robust drive for more money but surges in PCs tend to kill the power supply and not so often the parts on the other side of the PS. A PS failure however can subject the motherboard and peripherals to a DC surge but that seems to be uncommon. An SMPS DC power supply does not have a direct path from the primary to the output like linear supplies do so the output side usually is regulated for a nominal spike (a 110V SMPS supply can operate up to 256V AC in most cases) A fast rising surge can still overwhelm the MOV and open the input diodes or something else.