Edenpure Classic space heater...NOT LEVEL

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

Edenpure Classic space heater...NOT LEVEL

Post by dacflyer »

anyone messed with one of these heaters yet ?
customer brought one in and it says NOT LEVEL, i looked all thru this,, i cannot find any level sensor in it..and there is nothing helpful on the web, except tons of other people having the same complaint..
there is a mysterious box inside of it tho.. looks like a UV bulb inside of a metal box with tons of holes in it... Germicidal lamp ?

the web says to lay it on its side for 45 min and this should cleat the problem,,,,,doesn't work..
dyarker

Re: Edenpure Classic space heater...NOT LEVEL

Post by dyarker »

Infrared is a longer wavelength than visible light (frequency below red). Where red is the longest visible wavelength.

Ultraviolet is a shorter wavelength than visible light (frequency above violet). Where violet is the shortest visible wavelength.

(wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional)
(orange, yellow, green and blue are between red and violet)

A space heater would be infrared. The comb and trimmer sanitizer in the barber shop is ultraviolet.

----------
The level sensor is likely an accellerometer IC on the circuit board. Not something obvious like mercury in a glass tube.

When you set the heater on it's side, was it plugged in and on/off switch on? That might be necessary for microprocessor to "learn" what a "not level" number is.

In other heaters I've had, they shut off when knocked over. Maybe putting the Edenpure on it's "face" for a while will reset the accellerometer.

Cheers,
Dale Y
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i have looked on the control board and the display board,, no accellerometer of any sort to be seen, just the microprocessor and power supply..
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

ok,, did some more digging into this heater,, the bulb in the cage is actually a UV lamp, not very effective in such a tiny holed cage..
anyway this unit still says not level,, i took the control board apart and searched for a level sensor of some sort, i think i found it,, but it is a itsy bitsy 10 pin chip listed a U2 i had to get microscope lens to read the numbers..maybe one of you guys can
figure it out, i'd like to bypass it if possible, as i hear the tend to go bad..

the numbers are...1st row = 653 2nd row = CZA

i had ZERO luck trying to search the net...
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

http://www.pureenergystore.com/edenpure ... ter-parts/

Does anything on that page look familiar?

The back of the PC board has a connection for a "germ lamp". That would be UV lamp, and air flow would be through the box. The heating is the 500W infrared tubes.

Are the other ICs on the PCB identifiable as something other than the sensor?

Probably not easy to bypass. If it is an accelerometer, as I suspect, a change in direction or tilt causes a change in capacitance which affects an AC signal. Or, it could put out binary numbers representing degrees instead of a simple ON/OFF signal for "not level".
Dale Y
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

was not able to find any info except that the power board actually has the sensor, and not the front panel.. talked to a tech at
pureenerygstore.com the replacement board is 45.00
that's bout the easiest fix.. they said the problems they had on that board had been revised and cured.
but i see about 90% of the problems with that heater are the "NOT LEVEL" issues...have seen some bad plugs, shorted and burnt, but i am sure that they were from worn out defective outlets, cooked til they burnt up.
otherwise the heater is built fairly decent electrical wise. but way over priced IMO.
i recently bought a Stanley blower type space heater..ceramic type, and hands down , this is the best space heater i ever bought.
most of them cube type ceramic heaters, you don't feel the heat blow out too good. but this heater i can fee the heat blowing out over 10 ft away, and HOT..

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-1500 ... lsrc=aw.ds Lasko makes the same heater, its just a grey color instead of bright yellow. i paid 45.00 for mine, they are on sale now for $31.87
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

a MEMS sensor (accelerometer) would look a lot like a small IC, maybe 4 to 8 leads and they might be under the package (like a QFN package). The heater you have seems to be higher tech than anything I have owned since they all use cermet elements and mechanical level switch you can hear click when you tilt it. a MEMS sensor would appear to be a solid state component since the moving parts are microscopic and inside. If it is, then it might not be a 1 wire bypass, it might actually use a digital circuit to decide and then you have to find that output to bypass. In any case, bypassing is just increasing your fire risk, I'd replace unless you can pinpoint it. The MEMS sensor should only be a couple bucks at Digikey if you can ID it. but it may just as well be a solder joint or an op amp.

http://www.digikey.com/products/en?FV=f ... 113&k=mems

Can you post a photo?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i just went and replaced the rear control board, was less than 50.00
all back to normal now..
there is nothing special about the heater except that it is way over priced..

eitherway the customer is happy now..
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I see the Ads for those IR whole room heaters and I wonder, do they really think I believe heat made in a lamp is more efficient than heat made in a ceramic element. A Watt is a Watt when it comes to making heat, I suppose there may be advantaged ways that heat flows into the room but I doubt it.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i still like the heater i described earlier,, hands down..

but in the end, they show the heater as a piece of furniture,but still way over priced.
they want 75.00 for 3x replacement heater bulbs..heater takes 3 pieces. they recommend changing them all at once..
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

I think the gimmick in all these 'room heaters' is that they produce larger volumes of lower heat air compared to a heater that produces high heat with lower air volume. The higher volume of air warms the whole room rather than cooking an area in front of the heater. Proper circulation is the keynote to even heating. It's absolutely true that a BTU is a BTU, whether it's from a lump of coal or a platinum coated heating element. Consider a properly installed heat pump. It's discharge air is around to 20 degrees above it's intake air, and it heats the whole house.
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

true,,, the edenpure did not really have much air flow in my opinion , but the ones i bought earlier sure do..
you can feel the heat a good 10ft plus. not trying to advertise for the heaters, but i am impressed with em..
airnmore

Post by airnmore »

I came across this thread while researching edenpure parts and infrared heaters in general. Has anyone owned a heater that has a Copper PTC heating element? Check this one out - https://www.airnmore.com/comfort-deluxe ... ce-heater/
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

that basically looks like the ceramic heater units in most space heaters, except that one has copper fins, and not aluminum..
not sure what the advantage is. but with that, you won't see the fire red glow in the heater any more..lol
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

not sure what the advantage is.
copper is a better heat conductor
Dale Y