UAV project

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
BillH

UAV project

Post by BillH »

Hello, I have an oopic micro controller, and a GPS that outputs Nmea code. I wonder if anyone has made a text parser for a microcontroller, so I can interface the GPS to drive the servos to guide the airplane waypoint to waypoint?
Or does soem one make a device that does this?
Externet

Re: UAV project

Post by Externet »

Hi Bill.<p>I suggest you stay very away of such projects.
It's nice as a thought, but not beyond.<p>Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
BillH

Post by BillH »

What is a nice thought? Using a Microcontroller for parsing text, or making a UAV?<p>IF you are referring to the UAV, I'd suggest that you never reply to me again. I am a Ham, and I fly R/C airplanes. Such things are very possible and real.<p>Now I'll ask my question again, and this time, some one who knows something, please answer.
HAs anyone made a text parser for a micro controller, to integrate a GPS to a servo?
brettn

Post by brettn »

Jon Williams wrote an article in the March 2002 on exactly what you are looking for. He also gives a lot of resources to check out as well. I have been thinking a lot about a self-guided point-to-point plane too, but I've got so many projects going on now that it'll be at least a year before I can have a serious look at it.<p>Brett
brettn

Post by brettn »

Oops! I didn't state what magazine the Jon Williams article is in... Nuts & Volts, of course!<p>Brett
BillH

Post by BillH »

LOL, well, my march nuts and volts didnt come, hmm, you know, I think its time to resubscribe!
Dave Jones

Post by Dave Jones »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Externet:
Hi Bill.<p>I suggest you stay very away of such projects.
It's nice as a thought, but not beyond.<p>Miguel
<hr></blockquote><p>Migue
Why do you think that it is not a good idea to build a UAV. I have built at least 6 of them please tell me what is wrong with it.
Thanks
Dave Jones
[email protected]
Ron H

Post by Ron H »

I suspect Miguel didn't know that UAV means "unmanned aerial vehicle". He probably thought you wanted to apply your idea to a full-sized airplane.<p>Ron