What keeps me up late!

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
MrAl

Re: What keeps me up late!

Post by MrAl »

Lenp wrote:
A mirror is different because more of the light is reflected, but even in a mirror box the light would be partly absorbed and turned into heat, and the place where it is emitted would most likely end up absorbing more.
And so...if it is absorbed by the emitter I guess it could also be 're-emited', then would that become an '''optical oscillator" :idea:

LED Heat...
Did you try measuring the LED temperature, with a conventional thermometer? An IR thermometer might get buggy with the LED light.
High output LED's must be heat sinked or they morph into flash bulbs!

Wikipedia says"
"High power light-emitting diodes (LEDs) can use 350 milliwatts or more in a single LED. Most of the electricity in an LED becomes heat rather than light (about 70% heat and 30% light).[1] If this heat is not removed, the LEDs run at high temperatures, which not only lowers their efficiency, but also makes the LED less reliable. Thus, thermal management of high power LEDs is a crucial area of research and development. It is necessary to limit the junction temperature to a value that will guarantee the desired LED lifetime.[2]"
Hi Len,

Look up "Laser" and see how that works, that might answer your question.

What i find is that Nature always finds a way of working a supposed problem out so that nothing goes too bonkers, with the exception of a black hole which we still dont know everything about. I have a feeling even that is Nature's solution to some problem such as too much mass in the same localized space.
If something doesnt work at first then there is a meltdown,and that leads to a solution even if we dont like it.

Yeah the high power LEDs do dissipate a lot of heat for the amount of light they can put out. There are some working on solutions that involve incorporating a thermoelectric device right into the LED die so that some of that heat can be converted back into electricity and therefore help to power the LED which would raise the efficacy.

Some of the really amazing things about Nature that are hard to answer come from particle/wave duality. I dont think anyone really knows why this duality of Nature seems to exist. It's like particles exist in a world all their own. Check out quantum entanglement. One seems to know what the other one is doing even though they are separated very far apart. That seems to void the idea that the speed of light is the fastest speed in the Universe. Interestingly, if it is just 'information' then it does not have mass so maybe it does not have to obey the speed limit law. The question then is just what is the mechanism behind that which allows the 'information' to travel or just be there in zero time.

Yeah this might sound a little more serious, but it's interesting to think about these things too.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Well maybe, if it is intelligence, and if the brain is the center of intelligence, than just maybe the mass-less transmissions are associated with the empty head syndrome! :grin:
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
vision

Post by vision »

I would like to create a wormhole using a device that generates a huge magnetic field in my basement so I can be sucked-in to its vortex.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

... so I can be sucked-in to its vortex.
Goodbye. ((that's just in case you're successful :smile: ))
Dale Y
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Well.. This worm hole thing is the only hope I have to clean the shop and garage. :eek:
Len

vision

Post by vision »

A wormhole is basically two blackholes one on each end of the Galaxy. If I was successful in creating a wormhole what happen to myself, my house etc.....the planet earth. The gravitational pull would be enormous, singularity a one-dimension point. Laws of physics cease to operate.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi,

Looks like this thread went down the rabbit hole :grin:

Worm holes require too much energy to produce anyway.

A black hole is just Nature's solution to the problem of too much mass in close proximity.

Ok bye for now...uhg, uhg...<sound: cave door closing> :smile:
vision

Post by vision »

Hopelessly ignorant & lacking human intellectual capacity for thought.

So sad,
Goodbye : )
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

vision wrote:Hopelessly ignorant & lacking human intellectual capacity for thought.

So sad,
Goodbye : )

Hi,

Take heart, you'll eventually learn as time goes by. Reading helps a lot.

Take care,
Al
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

what keeps me up at night....
why is there so much harmonica in the Piano man song ?
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

My guess that Billy Joel is a pretty good harmonica player, and can play it while at the piano.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

More up late stuff:
I do service on complex control systems on bindery machines. I'll get a call that a machine is down. Since they have experienced operators there is no 'Oops the plug fell out' calls.

On arrival and startup it runs fine. You cannot get it to malfunction.
This cycle repeats then often stops it's misbehavior and runs as designed.

Years ago when I was in office machine service, a common fault was a simple case of dirty drive belts. A quick clean with a traditional red shop cloth and solvent healed the machine. We referred to the shop cloth as the 'red magic rag' and sometimes used 'RMR' as a corrective action code, to the annoyance of the bean counters upstairs.

Now I expect that I'll need to add candles, incense, long robes and a handbook of advanced incantations alongside the RMR in my well worn tool kit. :shock:
Len

MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hello again,

Len i accidentally replied to this thread in the other thread because i got mixed up when the software for this site took me back ot the general topic heading instead of the thread i was viewing when i signed in. But anyway...

The main point was that the gal that operated the machine pushed a button differently than anyone else did, so i had to go out to Indiana to modify the machine so it worked with her unusual push too.

I suspect Billy Joel used the harmonica to get that 'folk' sound into the song. I think it adds to the nostalgia.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

That's ok Al,
I understand what happens to us after too many sunrises :???:
Len

MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Lenp wrote:That's ok Al,
I understand what happens to us after too many sunrises :???:
Hi Len,

Are you suggesting that we can live longer if we can somehow prevent that darn Sun from rising and falling so darn much? :-)

I agree, lets start a petition to take down the Sun !
After all it was there during the Civil War :-)