dead board index in this forun

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

dead board index in this forun

Post by dacflyer »

anyone notice all the dead topics in the index of this forum,, i only see about 3 topics that are active.
mainly the general discussions , up for grabs , and computer programming.
when is the last time the site here has been updated or cleaned up or revised ?
Lenp

Re: dead board index in this forun

Post by Lenp »

The last cleanup was MMI (roman numerals) when the first user joined! :???:
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
Ronaldlees

Post by Ronaldlees »

When I join new forums (just did :-) ) - I sometimes have a reason, such as research for a project I'm working on. Often, I find I've bumped an old thread up to the top of the queue, because the project topic was a little arcane, and only a few posts were found related to it. But - if I am so lucky as to get to the original poster (sometimes doesn't happen if years have passed) - then I find my expertise.
gerty

Post by gerty »

We had a lot more traffic when Chris Smith was a member. He would have arguments going on in 2-3 different threads at once. Had to look up his name, saw that he had 4325 posts, he left in '07. That being said, I do not miss him !!
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i have made my share of post also, but not to argue..
Ed Watley was a great guy also..
Ronaldlees

Post by Ronaldlees »

Just took a look at the last page of the forum roster (page 128) - and see myself at the bottom. I noticed that most of the new members on that page have only one or a few posts. Likely, they had a single question to ask, that being their only reason for joining. Apparently, they (often) never come back. I suppose that is a pretty standard statistic across all forums on the net. I'm sometimes amazed at how high the total-members/posts ratio is, but I think the previous couple sentences explains the answer.

The Raspberry forum is another good example of an unexpected members/posts ratio. They have something like 100k members, but only a few dozen new posts per day. There are lot's of silent readers, I guess. They sold 20m of those things. I'd bet that a lot of them are running industrial projects - with dozens or hundreds of units in a project - and no forum visits.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

non-existent should be purged if not been on in over a year..
but that still does not fix the low activity in here..
i suggested that the Q&A be merged into this forum as well..and the other question asking part that was in the magazine also. can't remember as i have not subscribed to it in years now.. i can't stand glossy paper, very hard for me to read.. N&V was great when it was printed on the newspaper type paper.