advice on how to set up long DX wifi on farm...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

advice on how to set up long DX wifi on farm...

Post by dacflyer »

friend of mine has a huge horse farm and has to monitors ( breeder alerts )his mares that are preggy and near birth time.
but only way he can do it right now is using a cell service to send data to his phone..and it is costing him a lot of money.

he asked me if it is possible to run wifi on the farm. i said i am sure it is possible, but i do not know what equipment is best. or how to set it up,. i know he will need repeaters or bridges ( i do not know the difference ) and i am sure he will be needing beam style antennas i think...

here in the city i see a lot of police observance cameras, and they all have wireless antenna systems.
they are small white flat looking about 4x10 in size i'd guess.

and we also use wireless radios for our traffic systems in areas that fiber is not available.

so i am sure it can be possible, i just do not know how to do it...and i need suggestions on equipment to use.
there will have to be outside antennas
dacflyer

Re: advice on how to set up long DX wifi on farm...

Post by dacflyer »

dacflyer wrote:friend of mine has a huge horse farm and has to monitors ( breeder alerts )his mares that are preggy and near birth time. but only way he can do it right now is using a cell service to send data to his phone..and it is costing him a lot of money.

he asked me if it is possible to run wifi on the farm. i said i am sure it is possible, but i do not know what equipment is best. or how to set it up,. i know he will need repeaters or bridges ( i do not know the difference ) and i am sure he will be needing beam style antennas i think...
there are some pine trees in the way.
i am guessing for line of site he will have to have unit at house, and then to the hay barn, and then the end point will be the
horse barn.
in red is option A, a direct shot, only a few pine trees in the way. distance about 1,675ft
in blue is option B, from house to arena and then to the horse barn. distance about 1,260ft from house to arena, and then bout 520ft from arena to the horse barn.

here in the city i see a lot of police observance cameras, and they all have wireless antenna systems.
they are small white flat looking about 4x10 in size i'd guess.

and we also use wireless radios for our traffic systems in areas that fiber is not available.

so i am sure it can be possible, i just do not know how to do it...and i need suggestions on equipment to use.
there will have to be outside antennas
any help or suggestions is appreciated.
Attachments
aerial view dr. garretts farm.JPG
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

first thing to do is assess the range and line of sight issues. if you are under a few miles with no big hills then maybe a long range WiFi antenna is enough. If there is electricity here and there on the farm, then a network of WFi repeater/routers may work better.
http://www.amazon.com/TRiver-802-11AC-1 ... i+repeater

If it is really far but still have line of sight, then you could configure a microwave point to point but now you are up to $2k in equipment costs and need power at both ends.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=mi ... t&tbm=shop
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i did attach a pic and range, it is all flat land and only a few pine trees in the "A" option in RED
and yes there is power available at all points..
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I saw the picture but didn't notice you edited the quoted section

Possibly a long range repeater in each of the 3 buildings on the blue line might be enough, if you can put another in the 4th building above the street name, that would help too

After you identify a few products, call the vendor customer service lines and ask about your specific situation for confirmation.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

IMHO.
I hate to be old school but looking at the picture, a cable trenching machine, and a roll of cable may be the best answer. POE is possible and I think reliability would be enhanced and cost reduced.
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

way too expensive to run that long length underground..
if there was a phone line down there i'd consider DSL, but there is no other comm in the area.

getting the equipment might not be such a problem, but configuring it to all work together would be my issue..

is a bridge and a repeater the same thing ? if not can you explain ?
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi.
If it is of any help, had two years of free internet in the forest by using a satellite dish with a wifi transceiver installed at the focal point instead of the LNB.
Supposed to yield 25+ miles range; never could find the source of the signal. Discarded smaller DishNetwork and DirecTV antennas should work well instead of the huge monster...

Aiming low to a top of a distant hill (not to a satellite) ----> http://s588.photobucket.com/user/Innern ... rt=3&o=101
The 2 Watt transceiver ----> http://www.amazon.com/High-Gain-Long-Ra ... B0038Q4AIG
That perhaps will perform well in omni mode with is own high gain instead, inside a plastic bucket.
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
jwax

Post by jwax »

Must he have WiFi? Couldn't he use a wireless security camera/link? Some are long range, some have audio also.
WA2RBA
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

need something to establish a internet connection with..