Keurig K2 work around

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Lenp

Keurig K2 work around

Post by Lenp »

By now many people have learned that the new Keurig K-2 coffee machine was designed to only use the new K-2 designed cups.
The company touts that it is to 'assure a perfect brew by 'controlling the coffee and brewing'. Most people feel it was a corporate grab for the coffee sales since their Kcup patent has expired, and compatibles are everywhere at less cost. The machine rejects any cup without the special patented printing ink on the outside of the cup rim, with an Ooops message.

YouTube has a slew of hacks that range from cutting the green wire under the top cover to sticking a used cup lid rim over the unapproved brew cup. What has worked for me, for weeks now is a piece of paper, colored with a "Yellow Neon Sharpie", but others may also work. The paper must must be taped to cover the rectangular opening that the sensor looks through to see the brew cup. Cover the paper side away from the sensor with tape so moisture doesn't cause the paper to fall off. If successful, there will be a menu for all brew options, cup and carafe plus some for cups not yet released! (Note the carafe has a magnet in the tab that inserts into the machine to trigger some menus)

Also Rogers Coffee offers a colored plastic clip that does the same thing so you can brew their 'unapproved' coffee!
Enjoy.
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
Powerguy

Re: Keurig K2 work around

Post by Powerguy »

I also have a k-2...but i have a cup that works with it ...the instructions say it will not work without the logo...i find no type no type od a detector...the cup that works has no special ink ...just a tap that over rides the puncture switch..works every time
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Well maybe some units are special! What is meant by ...''just a tap that over rides the puncture switch''..

The unit has two puncture tubes, one on the top and one on the bottom but they are not switches.
The cell that reads the special ink is, with the top flap open, inside facing the cup, on the left side rear, through a square opening in the plastic.
The colored paper goes over that square opening. 200+cups bought from everywhere shows it works!
Len

CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

First, let me get this out of the way. I'm not a fan of Keurig or the primary coffees that you can buy for the systems. I don't like the taste of the coffee and the price is outrageous compared to standard coffee makers. But that has no bearing on the technical points.

It seems that the owners of Keurig (Green Mountain) studied the Apple school of product design. Create a new gadget and get people excited about it, then try everything in your power to make the supply chain proprietary. Then, when your patent is up or people figure out how to work the system, change it up in the name of upgrades and features to try to hold onto your proprietary goods. I'm surprised that they don't have a IOT connection for automatic updates to try to foil any workarounds.

This brings me to my real point: the world doesn't need everything to be a jack of all trades swiss army knife or to be connected to everything else. Think about it, your coffee machine doesn't need to tell you when the coffee is stale or allow you to turn it on it off remotely. Really, it doesn't. This removes reponsibility from the user, creating a soft mindset of irresponsibility that is permeating the younger set, and to some extent, the older set.

It is sad to see the world turning into end users. One day, the creativity will wane enough that complacency is all people will expect. Then, when technology goes belly up, no one will know how to fix or redo it. That's my real fear.

/ crotchety old man rant off

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i totally agree, simple things are getting way to complicated.. nothing is simple any more..
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

NO No and no!
We must connect everything to everything else to survive.
Technology has succeeded in making us slaves and we shall not change that. In the future we will have automated food replenishment thanks to the 100 percent use of RFID technology, Medical procedures will be remote surgery and automated diagnosis. Travel will be in scheduled pods that are auto guided. There will be no media like TV or radio since direct- to- brain will be a normal sensory function. In the end we will grow fur like sheep and walk on all four since we already have the following instinct and the Baah part down pat.
Well I have reached my allocated limit, but do have some quiet time credits left so I'll just go back to reading 'Animal Farm' and 'Soylent Green' before my programmed lights out and unconscious state arrives,
Len

CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Lenp wrote:...In the end we will grow fur like sheep and walk on all four since we already have the following instinct and the Baah part down pat. ...
I always did want curly hair... :mrgreen:
CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Baaaaaa.....means YES!! .....lol
( farm joke )
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

but these changes are a necessary part of the economy. If there were a perfect coffee maker, everyone would use it an not buy another. While some new features on products are substantial and worthwhile (like HDTV) other advancements are more likely to just cause you to buy an upgrade you don't need (like smart TV or add on box)

I suspect a great deal of the Keurig sales come from Gifting where the end user did not actually choose it for themselves. Inane features are great fodder for gifting.

IOT is probably next. Wouldn't you like to receive a push notification to your cell phone so you can sip coffee seconds after it is finished or start the coffee while you are driving home I think they need a webcam too so you can watch it drip or maybe watch the cat watch the coffee maker. Maybe they can have it pour the cup when it detects a Bluetooth fob I carry when I enter the room. Hey, voice control anyone?
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

If, I am at the correct lithium level, I would venture to say that the "Inmates Are In Charge Of The Asylum".

FYI:
Did you know that ...... Text That Has Every Word Capitalized Is Called CamelCase!?"
Len

CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

I just read these while drinking my coffee! Now I have to clean my screen!
(Wait, is there an App for that???)

CeaSaR (salad)
Hey, what do I know?
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Yes, and it can send the coffee right to your phone
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rix.coffee
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

haklesup wrote:Yes, and it can send the coffee right to your phone
So I don't need this oldie but goodie?
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threa ... der.11310/
Yep, had it on my Win98 machine.

CeaSaR

Len,

Sorry to hijack this thread. I didn't mean to since there are quite a few people who do use Keurig machines and associated beverages daily. It really is good advice.

BTW, did you see that Keurig is coming out with a cold beverage dispenser? I don't know if it is real or if it is just a Facebook MEME. I'll have to look into that at a later point.
Hey, what do I know?
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Ceasar
Hijack? The threads belongs to everyone...

As for the KeurigKold ... Here it is http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/prod ... cadevice=c

I wonder about the carbonation? They say no CO2 cartridge so it must be the magic of chemistry in the cup, like Fizzy's?http://www.amazon.com/Cherry-Fizzies-Ca ... nk+tablets At the going price, I think it's likely to be another looser, like the K2.0 was!

I would really like to see a YouTube video of the board meeting at Keurig when they found out how easy their 'special K2.0 technology' was to defeat!

Aside from extracting the essence of the bean, they also work hard to extract the essence of the green! :grin:
Len

Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Speaking of proprietary designs........

Anyone tried to get replacement parts for your 5 year old Washer, Drier, Dishwasher, or Refrigerator?

I have a Whirlpool Dishwasher that developed a leaky Rinse Dispenser.
The O-Ring for the rinse dispenser cap had gotten soft, and was no longer sealing it tight.
But you'd think I could just go to the local hardware store, or home supply store for a new O-Ring.
WRONG!
The O-Ring is proprietary, designed to fit only one certain Whirlpool Dishwashers Rinse Dispenser Cap.

Okay, I thought.
I'll just order the O-Ring from Whirlpool.
WRONG!
Whirlpool won't sell just the O-Ring, you have to get the Rinse Dispenser Cap also.

Okay, I thought.
I'll get both the Rinse Dispenser Cap & O-Ring.
Only.......
After checking several Appliance Parts Dealers, (Local and online).
The cheapest I could find was about $14 from a online Appliance Parts Dealer.
But the OEM part was listing for about $25.
{And that's before shipping costs were added in.}
Plus, on the same online Appliance Parts Dealer's website.
They had the complete replacement Soap & Rinse Dispenser Unit for $50. :? :x

I get the distinct feeling that the consumer is being encouraged to buy new every 2 to 5 years.
No matter what.

Signed: Janitor Tzap