Engineering Mathematics

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Turbo46

Engineering Mathematics

Post by Turbo46 »

Hi<p>Im about to start my last year at uni and im trying to find a good web site that will consider answering some mind bending maths questions in fourier series, z-transforms and laplace. A few times last year i struggled on some elements and i didnt know were to ask. <p>Before you say, why dosnt your teacher help. I will fill you in on how maths is taught at our uni. When you approach the teachers, they say, degrees are to be read and not taught. As a result of this our maths prof is part time and only teaches at the uni 2 hours a week.<p>I look forward to any advise you guys can offer.<p>Thanks, an English student being ripped off by the system!!
Engineer1138

Re: Engineering Mathematics

Post by Engineer1138 »

Ugh! I really can't stand so-called "instructors" with that attitude. Luckily my profs were pretty good and readily available.
Anyway, I don't have a site handy, but _Advanced Engineering Mathematics_ is a good, popular book and very easy to read for Fourier and Laplace stuff; I don't remember how it handles z-transforms -- I forgot all that stuff years ago :-) Your univ. library probably has a few copies.
rosborne

Post by rosborne »

My sympathies, the book I studied that stuff out of was called 'Complex Variables with Applications' by A. David Wunsch and it was the hardest class I ever took. The only advice I can offer is study hard, don't give up, work problems, work more problems and it will soon be over after you've worked even more problems. It's all worth it, being an engineer is fun compared to working for McDonalds, commercial roofing, building irrigation systems, and other jobs that I've done. Good Luck!
-Rick
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Use your outlook express (or whatever) to look at the Newsgroups. I just looked and there were dozens of math related groups. alt.math.undergrad had lots of mind boggling posts and some people trying to help. Some other groups seemed deserted except for the auto spam junk. Poke around in these newsgroups, I have found them to be more specialized and expert but occasionally impolite.<p>I remember thet high math stuff and fortunately haven't used it since (but if you plan to go on to advanced degrees or certain careers, you need to master this stuff). What I do remember is that most of the problems were full-on custom with multiple steps by senior year. Difficult to make a general purpose website for without reproducing a textbook IMHO. <p>
"Wears dat dern spel chuck butin"
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

You are not alone. My engineerin Profs told us we were lucky. At my school the undergrad classes were taught by Profs. In most schools the classes are taught by grad students. Somehow they thought it strange that since they were getting paid to teach that they would actually have to spend time in a classroom!<p>As to your math questions....<p>At my school it was difficult to find a tutor in the higher math classes or any engineering class for that matter. In my Signals and Systems class the professor suggested that the class get together in the library and have study sessions. For the first half of the semester I missed what his subtle hint actually meant. I was talking with another student and he said "Don't you go to the study sessions?" When I told him no he suggested that I do. I went to the session and there I found three quarters of the class huddled in small groups. Each group worked on one homework question and figured it out. Then each group explained it to the rest. We tackled the homework one or two questions per group instead of each person having to do the entire assignment alone. If you think this might be cheating it was not. This is what the professor wanted us to do. The professor went as far as having his grad student hold sessions to explain the homework question by solving very similar examples.<p>So what am I suggesting? You are about to start your last year at school so you must know some of the other last year students by now. Form study sessions with them and work on the problems as teams. I'm sure that most are in the same boat as you and would welcome the help. <p>If you want software solutions I recall using a program called MATLAB. Very powerful math simulation program. I don't see a free version but there are evaluation software available. All of the engineering computers had this on them and I used this software all the time.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
ProfessorRoach

Post by ProfessorRoach »

This is an excellent text on DSP and the last chapters cover the engineering mathematics you need to understand, and it's chapters are free for download (After reading the free .pdf's I bought a hardcopy - $40) . This book was written for the beginner and explains equations and abstract concepts in very concrete terms. I got all the way to abgebraic group theory in my math studies history. When read the appending chapters of Steve's book I gained new and valuable insights into subjects long since studied.<p>Steve realizes the need for engineers and students to keep their mathematical lens focused the "real world." <p>This is the page http://www.dspguide.com/pdfbook.htm