Boston Subwofer dosent work (i think)

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
qwertyuiop

Boston Subwofer dosent work (i think)

Post by qwertyuiop »

I have a semi new subwofer by Boston that i got with my computer around 2002. As of last year it stopped working. I know the (dont know correct term) speaker without the volume controls works because I pluged that in by itslef and sound came out. When I try to set up the whole thing all I get is feedback and fuzz from the speakers. I cant just do the speakers alone because the plug from the speaker with the volume control has a plug that dosent fit into the slot where you plug in sound devices. Is there any way I can fix this subwofer?
sofaspud

Re: Boston Subwofer dosent work (i think)

Post by sofaspud »

My own experience with computer 2.1 speaker systems indicates that the power supplies are usually pretty cheesy. That is where I suggest you look first. Make sure the filter caps are good and you have clean voltage out.
haklesup

Re: Boston Subwofer dosent work (i think)

Post by haklesup »

Sure, you should be able to rip the bad amplifier out of the subwoofer and connect the speaker cone directly up to the speaker output of the sound card. If you connect it to a line level output or a subwoofer line level output you may not get the volume or control you need. The sound card needs to have an onboard amplifier. In most cases the volume or low pass filtering (active crossover is removed) will not be what it was with the built in amplifier. <p>Fortunately, middle of the road PC speakers are inexpensive