Going Digital

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Lenp

Going Digital

Post by Lenp »

Since most magazines are going towards the digital versions, which I detest, is there any PC computer related pulp magazines still available. The local booksellers have a scant selection.
I won't rant about why I think this such a terrible trend and ripoff since we all have our own opinions.

Maybe this should have been posted in the Computer section but with the poor activity on this site lately, N&V may become also go digital before I ever get a response :mad:

Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
CeaSaR

Re: Going Digital

Post by CeaSaR »

Hi Len,

There are a few that I have seen in my local Pharmacy. Since I haven't been overly interested in them latetly, I don't know their names. If I have time on my way home, I'll stop and take a look.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Since my local bookseller went out of business I don't have anywhere that carries a substantial selection of print magazines. Smaller stores and supermarkets only carry what sells to their customers. If they tried an electronic magazine at one time and got stuck with a pile of unsold copies more than a month in a row, they probably dropped it.

I Suggest you try a few digital issues and then order the print copies by subscription from the online portal. circuitcellar seems to be one of the most vital electronics magazines out there. I have no idea how they do it. Too many other mags just discuss trends (i.e. popular electronics). You can also find great resources in the trade publications. ECNmag.com and electronicdesign.com among others are very good. They don't have as many DIY articles but they do cover the cutting edge of the marketplace well and they are generally free as long as you fill out the subscription form correctly. When you sign up, you may be directed to other sister publications you may find interesting. There are others but they lead to the general technical interests not so much electronics for hobbyists.

Sadly I don't have time to read many of these as I am busy reading and writing email at work all day
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

The 2 currently on the shelf are MaximumPC and PCSolutions. I'm sure there are more, but I have no idea what they are.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Although I have no interest in the PC mags, when I go back through all my old Popular Electronics, Radio-Electronics and their offspring, I'm amazed (well, not really) at all the notes I've made on schematics and parts lists of interest. Can't to that with digital. When I was with Tektronix, the company wanted to get rid of all paper manuals in the Service Centers and use nothing but microfiche. What do you think a technician who had paper manuals whose notes competed with the original print in quantity said about that? I knew of no techs who wanted to give up their paper mags ... and none did. The idea fell flat. The 'fiche was excellent for that 1-out-of-100 item that came in the door. At least we had the docs. And Tek's 'fiche covered it all, from their very first product to the newest, including all mod, mod kits, etc. It had great uses, but not for day-to-day routing service and calibration.
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Thanks for the input guys!

I canceled what was left of my PC World subscription and got a refund check.

The Kindle and their clones are great gadgets if you are an avid reader, but the online mags are near impossible to read with a smart phone. Who wants to drop a big dollar toy in the toilet or leave it on a plane just for the sake of reading once cheap paper magazine filled mostly with drivel?

A recent Popular Mechanics magazine was more like a Consumer's Report rag and the Sunday paper stack of ads combined. It might be interesting to measure the column inches of fluff and meat, then compare that to magazines from years ago!
The few true articles were watered down and near pointless. Guess they'll be next publications to go.

It's all about the money...No printing, no mailing cost. Hey you can run a magazine business from a laptop!

Len

I'll post back if I find anything worth it's salt!
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Pop Science (etc.) like Pop Music is just candy for those who aren't really into the subject. It caters to the masses without bringing much depth.