motion sensor security lights

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

motion sensor security lights

Post by dacflyer »

i have several of these light around my property. they have worked very well over the years.
i have had a few models that were pure crap ( i'll never use anything by Regent lighting or Cooper )
anyway my question is.. i have had some light sensors start to go bad. the plastic lens covering the PIR sensor starts to go bad, cracking , clouding etc.
i was thinking to use normal plastic, but i have noticed that the old lenses have multiple areas of small fresnels i am guessing it is to make it easier to pick up movement signatures.
but i cannot find anything to replace this material.. am i just going to have to replace the whole unit ?
or does anyone know where i might find new lens material ?
Dean Huster

Re: motion sensor security lights

Post by Dean Huster »

Generally, the lens portion is to determine where the detection will be the greatest so that a cat or dog will not trip it but a human will. I'll bet that a new light will be nearly as cheap as a replacement lens which may not be available anyway. Lighting products tend to have a very short "lifetime" regarding style. Run through your big box store and you see that virtually none of the lighting models are available much over two years in a row.
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Externet

Post by Externet »

- Abolish the deciBel ! -
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

wow. thanks for the links.. the 1st one is the best.
i'll do some measuring and see what will match the best.. otherwise it till go in the trash.
thanx..