Kronos Flyer Series

msimpson

Re: Kronos Flyer Series

Post by msimpson »

The reciever gets its power from the servo cable when it is connected to the NAZA or other controller.

So its probably wise to connect every thing then powerup the controller then do the bind process on the RX and TX.

Important!!!
Do this with the props removed from the motors.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

Hey folks
The Oregon Senate is trying to pass a bill that could outlaw all RC aircraft. Bill 71, is too vague and we already have laws that cover most of the situations covered in the bill. If it passes this will just be the start. The other states will quickly adopt the same policies.

You can read more about it here:
https://www.change.org/petitions/oregon ... ommunities

Please sign this petition. If we get over 1000 signatures they have to review the bill.
randyr

Post by randyr »

Mike, I still need help setting up the Turnigy TX. Which type Heli or Acro; Stick set mode; (then it asks THRO REVERSE?)?.
I am using FM-PPM, Heli type 4, PPM Modulation, Stick set Mode 2, What am I doing wrong?
I also can't get into the Pitch curve ID1 or 2 screens, help?
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

I am not an expert on the Turnigy TX.
Here are the settings that I used:
http://www.kronosrobotics.com/multiroto ... ndex.shtml

My radio is in:
FM-PPM
Stick set mode 2
Heli

I am running stock firmware on the original 9X. If you are using the new radio you may have to go the web for more help.
MarkKellogg

Post by MarkKellogg »

I got my Kronos flyer in the air today with pretty good results. Here are the build facts:
Kronos flyer with motor extensions, Futaba 8 FG Tx and Rx, Ardupilot APM 2.9.1 w/Blox GPS

I flew for about 25 minutes total and found controls to be overly sensitive so I'll start experimenting with the tuning process tomorrow. It required way too much forward pitch and right roll trim. I found my quick balance job was flawed so I balanced it well tonight and will see how it goes.

The flyer itself was great, it is stock with the exception of a quickly built isolation platform using Sorbothane isolator grommets. Isolation performance was okay but I still need to work on it. All in all a pretty good start for a rank beginner...

Motor extensions worked great, about the only thing I'll change is to add legs in lieu of the landing gear. Once it gets tuned up I'll add one of the newer Kronos platforms.

Michael, thanks for posting the Oregon Senate Bill 71 petition...it's my state and I haven't taken the time to get involved until now.
MarkKellogg

Post by MarkKellogg »

I spent the last couple of weeks tuning, flying, tuning, etc. Being a newbie pilot I'm quite careful (read timid..!) at the controls, so I'm not really trying to check out performance aspects.

Overall, after tuning the APM, the Kronos Flyer is proving to be a great platform for responsive flying and experimentation.

Project:
Stock Kronos Flyer with motor extensions and a temporary electronics platform to experiment with vibration dampening
Futaba 8 FG, RX - Futaba R6208SB, APM 2.5 with 2.9.1 firmware, Upgraded blox GPS

Tuning - Had two major areas I needed to tune up.

Accelerometer calibration, I calibrated but then did some changing of the APM mounting and didn't recalibrate...bad idea, but once I calibrated it in the new position it worked fine. Now I recalibrate each time I even remove the deck. It's about a 3 minute exercise on the bench.

Rate pitch P and Rate roll P - reduced from default of 0.1500 to 0.1270
Stab pitch P and Stab roll P - reduced from default of 4.5 to 3.5

Accelerator vibration was a problem so I am experimenting with isolation - current solution is sorbothane isolator grommets on the electronics platform which gives acceptable performance on the X, Y, and Z accelerator flight log graphs. I will continue to try others.

Compass offset (bad performance in Loiter and RTL modes) was also a big problem when I had the APM mounted on the deck right above the ESCs and power distribution board. Once I added the (temporary) electronics platform a couple of cm above the main platform the offsets went down to very low levels.

Bonehead mistakes - I've had a few! Switched two of the motor cables to the controller causing the craft to flip over immediately into a gravel pile - minor prop damage. Didn't have one of the props tight enough and it gave up about 3 feet from the ground - broke the landing gear in half. Etc. Etc.!

It is now performing well with the basic Stabilize and Loiter modes working great. The RTL (return to takeoff spot and land) works well. It worked from about 300 yards against a breeze and landed itself successfully.

Love to hear about other flyers...I'm still bumping along at a very slow learning rate.

And finally...Thanks Michael for a great design!
Attachments
Quad 006.JPG
Quad 012.JPG
Quad 009.JPG
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

You should post a video or two of your craft so we can see it in action.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

Some updates on my Kronos Flyer Expansions.

I renamed the system to FRMP. It stands for “Flying Robotics Modular Platform”

The goal was to create as series of modular components that can be used together to create a robotics platform to suit your needs.

I have most of the parts posted, and all are compatible with the Kronos Flyer frame. I still have to add more information to this section of the website.

You can see the components at:
http://www.kronosrobotics.com/multiroto ... ndex.shtml
MarkKellogg

Post by MarkKellogg »

Nice article #6 in Servo...and I see you're now offering the Isolation platform which means I can get rid of my "temporary" platform. I'm traveling for a few days but when I get back I'll take and post some video of the Flyer in action.

I'm a brand new pilot and spent quite a bit of time on the simulator which has really paid off for the first flights. I've found it's pretty effective to go back to the simulator before trying the next phase. Right now I'm still keeping the Flyer pointed away from at all times so I don't need to fly in "mirror image" as it comes towards me. However, at the same time I'm (hopefully) developing muscle memory on the simulator by flying figure eights and out and backs with the nose towards me.

Couple of questions...

Do you need the weight of the battery on the isolation platform for enough mass to help eliminate the vibration or is it okay without the battery?

Are there any noticeable differences in flight characteristics after moving the weight of the battery above the horizontal plane of the props as compared to having it below the props?

Thanks!
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

It should fly fine with the battery in the upper or lower position. That said, the isolation platform will have less vibration with more weight differnece between it and the main frame. Many also feel Mutlti-rotor craft are much more stable when the bulk of the weight is above the COG. It also frees up the lower portion of the craft for robotics stuff.

If you can get a GPS lock you can put it in carefree mode and it wont matter what direction the carft is pointinging. It will always go away from you when you push the Elevator forward.
MarkKellogg

Post by MarkKellogg »

I now have a sudden "opportunity" to add the component platform since, due to pilot error, I dropped the quad straight down from about 10 meters up... I had my mode switches wrong and after a minute or so I panicked and down it came. The motor mounts absorbed most of the energy from the crash and 3 of them broke, but that was the only damage with the exception of one slightly torqued arm. I like the design since motor mounts are easier to replace than arms and the central chassis.
Attachments
The broken mount on the arm and the "remains' of the others!
The broken mount on the arm and the "remains' of the others!
MotorMount1.jpg
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

Yep, that's what the extensions are supposed to do. Originally I had small scores cut into the wood so that they would break in just the right spot. I found later that the splintering absorbed some of the impact force.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

Back to the topic of attaching the battery to the top of the isolation platform. One main advantage is that the platform allows you to place the battery where it's needed to balance the craft. You will find that once you start adding payload this becomes more important.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

I just finished the design of the FRMP Hex copter. You can see it in flight here:

http://youtu.be/esxRBwFwrVo

It uses the same isolation platform as the quad, same booms, boom extensions, feet. Just six of them.
Ted Tuck

Post by Ted Tuck »

Michael,

I am slowly inching my way to completing my build of your flyer. I went the full Naza GPS route. So far your instructions have been so helpful that I built my own frames and booms. But I purchased your motor mount extensions and UNM because of their complexity. My compliments on their quality which was nice enough to prompt my first inquiry.

I don't know yet whether I will be expand the project enough to justify adding your isolation and component platforms, but I would like to mount my GoPro Hero2. Your articles show a skeleton case you made for this camera mounted on a component platform. However, I don't see the case offered for sale. Will you be selling a GoPro case through your store?

So far I have been compiling a binder of all your articles and web instructions on this flyer. The UNM instructions are protected and can't be printed. Will you be providing a release code to UNM buyers so we may have full docummentation?

The UNM instructions show one version with a Turnigy 9X receiver mounted on top of the Naza MC and the Naza VU above that. Due to the odd shape of the MC, it would be simpler to mount the RX on the bottom, then the MC, and last the VU. Are you aware of any RFI or crosstalk problems that would prohibit stacking my way?

This has been such a great project that I am looking forward to your 3D printer series.

Thank you,
Ted Tuck