Kronos Flyer Series

msimpson

Re: Kronos Flyer Series

Post by msimpson »

I got the latest APM 2.5 software and firmware loaded and did some initial tests. Crashed both times. The craft just wants to flip. I broke several props but the KronosFlyer is still intact. I got the accelerometer calibration to work. (It would not run earlier It gave me an error).

With the accelerometer calibrated I and give a test in a day or two. I have to go an balance some new props first. How I hate balancing props. :(
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

I moved the APM 2.5+ over t a QAV500 frame. It’s a heavy frame and has large monster motors and 10” props. I did this because this is a fairly slow frame. It is slow enough for me to tell if the copter is going to flip. The KronosFlyer with its faster motors and smaller props are very fast to react.

I got is running on the QAV500 frame and hovered a little in the shop. Tomorrow I will try it outside. I’m pretty sure it was because I did not do a special pass though calibration of the ESCs. I had done an individual ESC calibration but that may not have been enough. I am also using a different ESC, so it’s possible that could be the problem as well.

The new APM firmware utilizes the Accelerometers and requires some vibration isolation. I have designed and built a complete vibration isolation platform featured in the March Issue of Servo Magazine.

I have two identical KRonosFlyers with the new extended platforms. One has MultiStar ESCs and the other Plush eSCs. Once I am happing with the settings on the QAV500 I will transfer all to each of the platform so I can test the ESCS with the APM.
BoWingo

Post by BoWingo »

Glad to hear that you haven't given up on the APM yet.
Still haven't gone airborne with my KF yet. Been too busy with everything else.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

Got some real good testing done on the APM2.5 controller.
Stabilized mode works ok but I prefer the Altitude hold mode, as it operates much more like the NAZA in this mode.

Here is a video I did as I was testing the GPS Loiter mode.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0H5jqVx ... e=youtu.be

To be fair this was very windy day here in Virginia. But any flight is a good flight if you dont crash. This is a special version of the Kronos Flyer Where I created an isolation platform just for the APM. Notice that the battery has been moved to the isolation platform.

The setup and installation is much more involved and error prone on the APM, compared to the NAZA. I still have to adjust my elevator trim +46 to keep the craft level and I can't figure out why.

In any case tomorrow (weather permitting) I have a friend coming over and he will operate the mission planner as we attempt a few other tests.
randyr

Post by randyr »

Hi, I just started ordering the parts to build the Kronos Flyer and would like to know if increasing the motor center span to 18 or 19 or 20 inches would adversley affect the performance of the quad? Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.
I will be using the Naza controller with GPS and the NTM 28-26A 1200 kv motors and 8045 props.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

Normaly if you are going to expand the craft size, you are going to add weight. That said with the span at 20 or so inches you will gain stability but the craft will be less agile. I have a frame kit that I will be selling on the web site that is about 23-1/4". These have a special isolation platform for cameras.

Experiment with the length of the booms. It cant hurt, well maybe a little. Be sure to purchase extra props.
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Hello! This is my first post on this board, and actually I registered just to ask a few questions regarding the flyer.

So, I'm in Europe where everything is metric :grin: My questions are mostly related to that fact:

- My first question is what should I use as a replacement for #6 screws? I'm guessing M3 screws. Also, the same question for #4 screws.
- I've collected some 15mm x 10mm Al C-channel, will this be fine?
- I have redrawn the templates in CAD software and added some modifications. They are waiting to be cut on a CNC machine. Can I use 3mm plywood or plexiglas of similar thickness for bases and motor mounts?
- I got a good offer for a set of 10A Turnigy ESCs. Are these too small? If they are to small, will they overheat, burnout or are they just too small for liftoff?
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

You cant use 10A ESCs, they are too small. You should use the ESC's and motors I have sugested. Substitute at your own risk.

As for the sizes, use a size that is close to the sizes I have chosen. There is no hard and fast rule here. 3mm is fine for the ply. For the number #4 screws, choose a screw that will fit through the motor mounting holes. I think a 2mm or 2.5mm screw will work.
randyr

Post by randyr »

In reviewing the Jan 2013 issue, Step 9, you mentioned NTM motors and Multistar ESC's in the same line.
Does that imply that the NTM's must be used with Multistar or can I use the 25 amp Plush ESC's that I have on order?Soldering on the proper connectors is not a problem for me. But will there be an issue with this setup? As I see it there may be an issue as to where the ESC's are mounted on the frame due to lead length.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

No. All the motors and ESCs mentioned can be interchanged, as long as they are in sets, IE all NTM motors or All SK3 motors, or All Plush ESCs.

Only the positions of the ESCs will vary depending on lead length.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

I just posted a set of boom extensions for Kronos Flyer on my web site. This boom extension will convert the Kronos Flyer from 430mm to 560mm. The increased size will allow for the larger isolation platform upgrade I will be coming out with later.

Once all the upgrades are in place you will effectivly be running what I call the KFE (Kronos Flyer Extended). The designs and testing is all done. It all comes down to assembly instructions and web content.

This all I have on the boom extensions now:
http://www.kronosrobotics.com/multiroto ... ndex.shtml

I will post more as I have it.
MarkKellogg

Post by MarkKellogg »

Did you use PPM mode on your APM 2.5/Futaba 8FG set up? I cannot get the APM to recognize the PPM signal. I am using the following:

APM 2.5 with 2.9.1 firmware
Futaba TX - 8FG Super in Mult2, airplane mode, standard setup, etc.
Futaba RX - 6208SB using S Bus output (same results in HS and normal mode)
APM is setup with PPM (S bus) signal and DC coming into input 1, and input signal pins 2 and 3 are jumped

When in the Radio Calibration screen in Mission Planner using this setup I get no response on any channels at all. If I take the RX cable and just place it in the standard servo channel 1 and remove the jumper (APM pins 2 & 3), I get a normal response on the yaw axis. So seemingly the setup would work correctly if I connected all five channels but I'd rather use PPM.

Other than this hitch in the APM setup the build has gone well. Once I calibrate and tune the APM, I'll be flying (so I figure I'm only about 50% complete since I need to tune the APM as apposed to just going flying with the NAZA!)

I'll post at DIY Drones as well...I've searched the documentation there but found conflicting information.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

No, I ran each channel to the APM. Sbus is not compatible with the Generic PPM that the APM uses. On the NAZA they have a seperate PPM and Sbus selection. From this you can figure they are not the same. So you would have to have a reciever that has PPM out not Sbus.

So.... Run all the wires
MarkKellogg

Post by MarkKellogg »

Thanks...I went ahead and built a cable, but only ran the signal wires which cut down on the bulk, and its up and running. I'll now go through the final tuning and calibration this week.

It looks like the APM guys have a fix for the S-bus which involves flashing the PPM encoder with a new version to support Futaba, that said, I'll pass on that until everything else on my quad is somewhat stable.

I'll order those boom extensions this evening and then get the APM universal mounts when you get them ready.
randyr

Post by randyr »

Michael, as a real newby to RC, I am having difficulty with the Turnigy 9X/Naza/Kronos Quad set up.
Do I have to bind the TX to RX first before Naza set up, how does the RX (9X8CV2) get its power? Is it through the servo cable?
I have found a Utube guide on how the bind the TX/RX using a 6 voly battery pack and on/off switch. I have downloaded the manual for the Turnigy 9X which is good for understanding the menu system.
The physical build was not a problem, it's the fine set up details that explain the small nuances that experienced RC people take for granted that I am looking for, so to better understand the technicalities of the sport. Thanks, your help IS appreciated.
Randy