Motorcycle Safety Devices

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Dean Huster

Motorcycle Safety Devices

Post by Dean Huster »

OK. We need to start a new topic, this a bit off-topic from elecronics. As I review the alarming statistics of accidents where motorcycle riders are seriously injured, I realize that automobile safety standards have not been equally applied to motorcycles. That strikes me as a bit prejudicial, so I'm going to begin a drive here in Misisouri to correct that, involving all the state legislature members that I can. I propose that all motorcycles be equipped with seat belts and air bags and that drivers and riders be ticked heavily if caught not using them. Pretty good idea, yeah?
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Externet

Re: Motorcycle Safety Devices

Post by Externet »

Seat belt ...Bad joke !

Better start manufacturing Michelin suits, and make some money out of your idea...

Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo9Vlt5tGwY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQr8YkzEEWQ
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Dean Huster wrote:... Pretty good idea, yeah?
Not!

All these years this the first time you've said something I disagree with :grin:

You are joking .... right? :? :!: :?
Dale Y
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

seat belts=bad idea IMOP
i believe its better to break away from the bike in a crash..if your belted to the bike in a crash..your in it for the entire crash and skidding across the ground etc. or full force slamming into what ever.
at least in a crash you might have the luck to flip over the bars and possibly survive.
there's so many scenarios sure not all are survivable, but being belted to the bike is almost has
zero survivability..
now airbags might be a plus..
i like that some bikes have side mounted crash bars, they keep the bike from crushing your legs
if the bike falls over in a skid etc.
but seat belts...no way...
ringo47stars

Post by ringo47stars »

I don't agree with seat belts on bikes either. That safety sphere looks like a good idea but there could be problems with it too. - http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AvA ... =yfp-t-701
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

sounds like someone got a seatbelt ticket. (hopefully thats all and not knowing a victim of an accident)

The airbag suit (or even armor) is a great idea but if the minority of riders would just stop driving 90 among traffic going already 80 we could save a few more lives. outlawing lane splitting in the states that allow it woundn't hurt either IMO (even when done legally, creates unnessary hazards). However, there is no way to make a motorcycle as safe as a car through crash mitigation plain and simple. I really respect a motorcycle driver who behaves like they are in a car and passes like they are in a car.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Oh, yeah ... and I forgot to mention that I also own this bridge across the Hudson River that I'm willing to sell for next-to-nothing .....
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.