Missing Kernel or corrupted

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
solardude

Missing Kernel or corrupted

Post by solardude »

Hey gang howz it goin,
I know its been a while. I have a friends laptop it is a Sony VAIO, and it has Windows 7 in the OS.
The problem when I received the laptop was that is was in a Start up Repair loop. Would not boot into windows 7 in anyway...(Safe Mode, Last Good Configuration etc.) I finally got it to repair in Start up Repair and no longer loops. Now I am still stuck with not being able to boot into Windows 7 or boot at all.
A screen at the beginning of boot says: Status 0xc00000e9, Info: windows failed to load because the Kernel is missing or corrupted.
Now I did the Bootrec, did the SFC and still was not able to retrieve back the Kernel nor boot the laptop.
Like I said I received this laptop from a friend to get it working again so I'm not sure what it was doing before all this. In desperate need of help please.

Thanks guys any help is very appreciated.
cae2100

Re: Missing Kernel or corrupted

Post by cae2100 »

I used to see that issue a bit when I worked on computers, it's from the filesystem partition being corrupted from being shut down incorrectly. If you can get ahold of a DOS disk or a disk like BartPE, just run "chkdisk C:" on it and 9/10 times, it'll fix it.

If that seems to be not the issue, you may just need to reformat everything and reinstall windows on the laptop or check that the harddrive isnt failing.
solardude

Post by solardude »

Thanks for the suggestion cae,
The HD is fine I have removed it and connected it external usb to my computer and was able to do a Virus Scan to it. I found 110 infected files and deleted them out. I am however able to go to Command Prompt from boot from CD with Windows 7 CD then to the Repair box. I am running the chkdsk C: /r. i=Its been the second day running, is that normal? And also if that doesn't work what other commands can I use to get this thing to boot back into Windows 7. Also I do not want to lose any data in this persons laptop if I can help it.

Thanks for the help
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

chkdisk usually only takes a few hours at most for me, if it takes any longer, then there must be something wrong with the hdd itself. you will be able to read stuff off of the harddrive like you said you did, but certain parts on the drive itself will be unreadable (like the stuff with the boot partition in your case) or will show that the files are corrupted.

you said you had it out and put into an external usb enclosure, so maybe just copy everything off using that way, all of your friend's files and just clean the whole hdd out, then put everything back when it's cleaned out. Sometimes that's the only option.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Also ask your friend if it was dropped, and if so, was it running. I concur with solardude,
copy the files off and try to fully reformat and install/restore (the factory restore disk was
made, wasn't it?). If it still doesn't work, you have bigger problems with the hard drive
and the best solution is a new HDD.

CeaSaR

***Oops, I meant "I concur with cae2100"
Hey, what do I know?
solardude

Post by solardude »

Okay I did the chkdsk C: and this is what came of it after 3 days of processing and it didn't even finish...."Deleted corrupted attribute list entry with Type Code 128 in file 82372". Next line.."An unspecified error occurred<726166696c652e63 1ed>. Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50".

I am not really familiar with this stuff and do not even know what it means. I do know there is a corrupted file in the registry and a file missing from the registry. How do I fix bot issues without losing any data to get this laptop to boot into Windows 7 again.

Please someone help me!!!!

Thanks to Cae and CeaSar for your suggestions but so far no go. If any other ideas please let me know.
Thanks guyz,
Solardude
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

only solution left is to pull all of the stuff off of the computer and cleaning it out, reinstalling windows and all the drivers. If you cant get windows to install, then you probably have a damaged harddrive.

In all honesty, it sounds like your harddrive is failing, if chkdsk cant even read past a part on the hdd, that's a hardware issue, not in software, so just get what you can off of it while you can, before the harddrive gets any worse and just replace the drive.
solardude

Post by solardude »

Okay will do.
Thank You cae
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Yep, slave the drive to a working computer, try to mount the drive and copy everything
off as soon as possible. Then try to reformat (FULL) and reinstall the OS. Any major errors
will indicate the need for a new HDD. Probably not a bad idea anyway.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
solardude

Post by solardude »

Okay cae I tried to move all the data onto my external drive but not as hooking it up as a Slave drive. I tried that and had complication so I external usb hooked it up. There are files and folders with a lock icon on them and I can not transfer them nor open them. I get box pop-up saying:
"You don't currently have permission to Access this folder".
Click continue, another box saying:
"You have been denied to access this folder".
And there are a couple folder without locks that where transferred and I'm not able to open them either. I do not understand it's my computer and I don't have Access??????

Hope your able to help with this one so I can get all the data transferred so I can do the reformat and the reinstall.
If anyone one else had this issue solve please help with your suggestion.

Thanks Solordude
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

That's right you don't have access.

The friend who gave you the laptop does.

You need to get the password from him too unlock the files to move them.

Otherwise you can try to clone the hard drive to another hard drive.
I've seen this done by a lot of Computer builders.
They buy 10 or so Motherboards that are exactly the same.
10 or more Hard drives that are exactly the same.
10 or more Video Cards that are exactly the same,
and Memory Sticks that that are exactly the same.
They assemble one computer and load the OS on it.
Then remove the hard drive and then clone it to the 10 or so more Hard drives.
The cloning is normally done with a machine that is made just for this.
Thus, it saves them time when a customer orders that model.

There is software out there that will do this task as well.
But only for cloning one drive at a time.
Since most mother boards are not setup to handle no more than 2 or 4 Hard Drives at a time.

Last ditch effort.
Do you have a copy of Spinrite 6.0?

If not, go to: http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
And purchase a copy for yourself.

Have it work on the Laptop Hard Drive.
It may take days, depending how bad the Hard Drive is mess up,
before it finishes working on the Hard Drive.
But it will give you the low down if the drive is failing,
or if it is just the OS format that is corrupt.

Good luck!

Signed: Janitor Tzap
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

you know how I mentioned bartPE before? I use that all the time with copying files off bc technically it counts the user it runs as, as administrator, so you dont have any permissions errors, and you dont have to remove the harddrive, just boot the laptop or computer with the harddrive in it with the bartPE cd.
Thats what I usually do anyways, just plug in a big thumb drive or external hdd before you boot the computer up so it shows up in bartPE, and it should let you copy all of your files off with little trouble.
There are other boot cds like hiren's boot cd and a few others, but never messed with them all that much tbh.

Best part, they are all free, so no needing to buy software which doesnt really help that much in the end.

ps. tzap, Ive used spinrite before and it was too buggy for me to really use efficiently when I tried it.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

cae2100 wrote:ps. tzap, Ive used spinrite before and it was too buggy for me to really use efficiently when I tried it.
What version?

The versions 5.0 and older don't work well with some PATA and SATA drives.
Version 6.0 does, but there have been miner cases where it has interface issues.
{MotherBoard BIO's did not support larger drive formats.}
Thus, the Hard Drive had to use a support program to make the drive mountable.
So to get Spinrite to see the drive the support program had to be loaded first.

I've been using Spinrite since version 2.0.
When I was working with MFM & RLL Hard Drives for PC's and XT computers.
Data corruption was a big problem, because the Hard Drives were not as reliable as they are now.
Thus, you ran CHKDSK, and Defrag at least once or twice a week.
And you backed up your important data onto Tape,
or Floppies if the amount data you wanted to save was small.

Now a days Micro-Squish wants you to believe that the problem of Data corruption is a thing of the past.
It's not!
Data corruption is just as much a problem now as it was then.
Especially when downloading/streaming music, video's, or playing
massive data hog's like World Of War Craft.
You still need to do simple maintenance like CHKDSK,
and Defrag once a week to keep your files from degrading.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

just a try, but if your running windows xp on the computer that your trying to use to copy the stuff off, there's a trick to gaining administrator access that micro-buggy left open as a backdoor in most xp systems, but log out of the main user, and hold down control + alt + delete until the user tiles turn into where you can type in the username and password, then type in "adminstrator" without the quotes as username, and no password, and press enter. a few mins later you should be at a desktop and have full administrator access on the computer to allow you to copy anything you need to off of the other harddrive. This usually worked for me, but is not a given thing due to micro-buggy patching some windows versions when it was kicking it to the curb.

If your not running xp to copy the stuff off of the drive from your laptop, then just make the bartPE disk and use that, it'll give you administrator access also, and is more designed for that kind of things.

also, tzap, the partition is corrupted and harddrive is maybe failing, so something to find bugs on a harddrive on a healthy hdd isnt really going to help. The system is cooked, if he's having issues with the operating system, a bandaid isnt really going to do much but delay the inevitable and lead to more issues down the road.

Best way of thinking when dealing with most people is the KISS method, keep it simple so they can understand it. :P
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

That's why I asked if "he" dropped the computer - son #1 did just that and he ran SpinRite 6.0
for almost 3 months on the laptop and got to 2% before someone accidentally popped the plug
out of the machine, shutting it off. :x In this case, something happened to the boot sector when
the compy literally crashed. BartPE would have been the better option as the files could be accessed
via "slaving" or "mounting" the drive.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?