Metal Lamp Touch Switch Module

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
tarnall

Metal Lamp Touch Switch Module

Post by tarnall »

Years ago and maybe still today one could purchase a lamp with a metal base that included a touch/dimmer control. Later I found that you could purchase these 3 wire modules from Home Depot and wire them in your own light fixture with a metal base and have the touch/dimmer control. Well, as CFLs became popular and now LEDs those old touch/dimmer modules don't work so well. I can NOT seem to find a similar module that is JUST a TOUCH ON, TOUCH OFF rather then going through the dimming process. Anybody familiar with these modules - how hard would be to modify it just to switch on and off? Or is there a circuit handy that I can build (using the 120V supplied to the lamp) for touch on/off?

Thanks,
Terry
Hayward, CA
dacflyer

Re: Metal Lamp Touch Switch Module

Post by dacflyer »

most led lights have a power supply in them, usually a switch mode power supply. and they are not dimmable, unless it is a special led light made just for dimming.
same goes for CFL's they do not dim well at all unless it is specially made for dimming.
so modifying a touch dimmer will not really help you.. and them touch dimmers are not really modifiable.
from what i have seen they are ic controlled.
sghioto

Post by sghioto »

tarnall,

Go to amazon.com they have plenty of different modules available like this one in the link below.

http://www.amazon.com/AmerTac-6000BC-To ... d_sim_hi_3

Steve G
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

the amazon link says... "For incandescent lamps only"

i did forget to mention that in the engineer's mini-notebook (from Radio Shack by Forrest Mims)
on page 8. there is a simple 555 circuit on making a simple Touch Switch.
you can have the output control a triac.
sghioto

Post by sghioto »

Well he didn't say exactly what type of bulb he was going to use in it he just wanted to find a simple ON-OFF touch switch. :wink: Anyway here's a less expensive brand that will work with CFLs.

http://www.touchandglow.com/product-p/s-2.htm

Steve G