Old N&V Issues!

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Lenp

Old N&V Issues!

Post by Lenp »

I was looking over some vintage Nuts & Volts magazines (1995), before I decide to pitch them (any takers!) and again noticed that every few pages there were full size ads for 'cable decoders' that were, or could be hacked. Many of the pages in between were ads for cell phone cloning. It was an open market then and yes, I dabbled in both for a while. Today it is virtually impossible to hack either because the technology has been so advanced. Years ago, because of the primitive logic, the identification codes for the receivers and the EIN for the cellphone was in an eeprom and accessible with software. Today it is hard coded into the million pin mother chip.

I still have step by step instructions to hack a receiver, that was used on a local UHF channel for pay tv viewing at night. I think it was called Super TV. Lift 1 chip and remove a resistor hidden underneath, add a couple of jumpers and it decoded everything! Normal subscription, sports...whatever was broadcast. Quality was, kind of like the old SCA broadcasts for Muzak. Not great but, it worked.

I remember the Grabber, a early laptop/cell phone lash up that was placed at a high cell phone traffic area, like an airport. It collected the EIN and MIN numbers from nearby cell phone users. For few day's parking fees you could log hundreds of number pairs. Just program them into a cell phone and talk free. If one went silent, just use the next number! There were phone clone setups, to make several separate phones act like extensions. At one time we had 4 cell phones, all using the same number.

Ah yes..Those were the days!
Maybe I should write a book someday, before the gray matter turns sour!

Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
gerty

Re: Old N&V Issues!

Post by gerty »

Make sure the statute of limitations has run out first
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

gerty wrote:Make sure the statute of limitations has run out first
Not sure what is meant by this but if N&V ran pages of these hacker ads for years, I guess there little concern now.
Len
Len

gerty

Post by gerty »

No concern..just a bad joke..
jdboy3020

Post by jdboy3020 »

If you're pitching those issues, please pitch them my way! I'll pay the shipping.
319-679-9865
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

jdboy3020 wrote:If you're pitching those issues, please pitch them my way! I'll pay the shipping.
As I sort them out, I'll stack them for you. It may be a while until I am through but they are yours if you want them.
Most of these are the earlier tabloid size issues, and I expect there will be maybe 75+ issues.
If you change your mind please let me know!

I am really trying to thin the herd and there will be other electronic magazines, books and parts that I'll post in the "Up For Grabs" section as they are unearthed!

Len
Len

Lenp

Post by Lenp »

jdboy2030...
Check your PM's I have sent some but the system seems to have an issue. See my posts "Email Notifications" in this forum.
Len
Len