infrared sensor switch

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
moe

infrared sensor switch

Post by moe »

Hello,
I am looking for a circuit or plans to build a
infrared sensor that will detect when the beam is broken and caused power to a circuit for five seconds.I would like to use this with my air hockey game to detect a goal. The voltage I would like to run this on would be 9 to 12 volts dc.
Thank for your help.
bodgy

Re: infrared sensor switch

Post by bodgy »

When you say beam is there already an Infra Red beam or is it an actual light beam?<p>For Infra - Red how far aprt do you need the transmitter and detector?<p>colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
moe

Post by moe »

There is no beam now But would need a distance of about 4 inches to detect the puck.
Moe
russlk

Post by russlk »

Radio Shack has detector module, 276-137 for $3.79. It has logic level output and requires an interupted beam of 40kHz (more or less). I used it in a Pinewood Derby timer which you can see at : www.geocities.com/russlk<p>Actually, the detector schematic is not shown because there are only 3 connections: power, ground and output.<p>[ November 03, 2002: Message edited by: Russ Kincaid ]</p>
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Well the first experiment would be to use a standard wide angle infra- red emitter as used in remote controls and a wide angle infra-red detector with daylight filter - thats the start you would have to see if the detector output voltage changes when obstructed.<p>After that if all is well a 555 wired as a monostable would be able to connect to a relay or opto isolator.<p>If you're into surplus/used try searching for bottle level checking devices from soft drinks manufactures and similar - they use either X-Ray - or Infra-red devices to check for foreign objects or incorrect filling - very good you should see the ones at Schweppes in action.<p>colin
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Russ,<p>I'm trying to make an opto rain detector - not much success at the moment possibly because I'm using logic/mouse type matched pairs.<p>I'm going to try a standard wide angle hight power emitter - do you reckon a modulated receiver like the one you used might work more effectively?<p>colin