Question About IR Reciever, re: PICAXE PRIMER June 2012

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
EPA III

Question About IR Reciever, re: PICAXE PRIMER June 2012

Post by EPA III »

In reading the referenced article in the June 2012 issue of Nuts&Volts, I was particularly interested in the discussion on the recommended IR receiver in the first two paragraphs. I am working on a device that uses such a receiver and I want one that would work with as many existing TV/VTR/BluRay/etc. remotes as possible. In short, I want a universal IR receiver or as close to that as possible. It seems to me that my requirements are very close to what he would want in the project in the article. I am presently looking at the Vishay TSOP31x38 series of receivers.

In earlier work the author, Ron Hackett, said he used a Panasonic PNA4602 IR receiver but that part is now discontinued. He further states that he is testing a Vishay TSOP34338 which meets all three of his requirements (pin for pin compatible, 38 KHz operation, and no additional parts). It seems these requirements are primarily centered around keeping an existing PC board layout. As far as I can tell from the data sheets, the specs for the TSOP31xxx series and the TSOP32xxx & TSOP34xxx products is the latter are in smaller packages. The only specs that seem to differ is the ones that would depend on the actual package. And the pin-outs are different, but that could be package related too.

What I would like is a better discussion of the various choices and which would be best for a device that is intended to work as well as possible with as many of the existing remotes as possible.

One more question, the Vishay block diagrams for all of these receivers show an internal pull up resistor on the data output pins. Yet, in the article he shows an external pull up of 4.7K. Why? Is that a leftover from the Panasonic device and not needed for the Vishay? Or is it needed for some other reason?

Paul A.
Paul A.
sghioto

Re: Question About IR Reciever, re: PICAXE PRIMER June 2012

Post by sghioto »

Paul,

You might want to repost this on the Reader Projects and PICAXE Primer forums. There hasn't been much action on the latter but maybe Ron Hacket will reply.

Steve G
EPA III

Re: Question About IR Reciever, re: PICAXE PRIMER June 2012

Post by EPA III »

Steve,

I have not posted a lot on this forum so I am not familiar with the common usage of the various boards. Some forums have most activity on the general board(s). So, thanks for the suggestion. I have done so.
Paul A.