Connecting Car Power Amp

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Mike

Connecting Car Power Amp

Post by Mike »

I picked up a BOSS AVA-100 100W (50W x 2) for $5 at a garage sale. I have no idea how to connect the thing though. I connected the red (labeled +) and the ground (labeled ground to my 12V power supply, then there is still this ornage wire labeled Auto-Ant.<p>When I turned on the supply nothing happened. So I opened up the amp, and noticed that the orange wire connects to the power LED. So, what do I need to connect the orange wire to to get it to turn on?
Edd

Re: Connecting Car Power Amp

Post by Edd »

My thought on the situation is that the Power Amp unit would typically be located in the rear of a vehicle near power woofers, with the Power Amps DC power being hardwired into the unit with adequate wire ga for the power run. The orange is the common color coding for car receivers/player/CD/etc providing 12VDC to power antennas upon set turn on.. In this case that switched power is sampled for doing a low level switching activation of the power amps “power switch” ,whether it be utilizing SS switching technology or just a common power relay.<p>73's de Edd
[email protected] ....……..(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected]..........(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)<p>[ August 15, 2004: Message edited by: Edd Whatley ]</p>
Mike

Post by Mike »

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand what you are saying. Do I need to do anything with that wire to use it without being in a car? or is the amp broke? I dobut it since the LED connects through a resistor to the orange wire, so do I connect it to the +12V supply along with the red wire?
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

With the red and black wires connected to the power supply, and the power supply on; how many volts are on the orange wire?<p>If +12V, ground the orange wire.
If 0V, connect the orange wire to +12V.<p>Edd is saying (?? sorry Edd if I didn't interpret right) that the orange wire is a remote ON/OFF signal. When (in a car) it is connected to the radio's (probably) orange wire, the radio on/off controls other equipment like automatic antennas and power amps WITHOUT all the current going thru the radio. Putting the power on LED in this circuit "kills two birds with one stone".<p>Cheers,<p>[ August 16, 2004: Message edited by: Dale Y ]</p>
Dale Y
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thank you Dale and Edd.<p>I'll try it and see if it works.
Edd

Post by Edd »

As per my statement of:
<<The orange is the common color coding for car AM-FM receivers/w/cassetteplayer/CD/etc providing 12VDC to power antennas to activete them upon Receiver turn on.>>
That provided orange wire from the automobile Receiver just provides a readily sourced sample of +12VDC from the receiver. After making Dale's static voltage check , see if that switched orange "antenna" sources 12VDC into the Power Amp doesn't engage the internal 12VDC power switching of the unit.<p>73's de Edd
[email protected] ....……..(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected]..........(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
;) ;)
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yes, it was connected to +12VDC to light the LED, but the fuse was blown when I got it although I didn't see it at all and didn't even know until I tried to hook it up and nothing happened. so, I just connected the power source (car jumpstart thing) without the fuse, and the light came on, but nothing came through the speaker, and then a couple of seconds later, I heard a hiss, pop and then smoke come from inside the amp. Anotherwords the stupid woman sold me a broke amp. She was tryin to get 10 bucks for a broke thing! She offered $5 to me but still, she got $5 for a broke amp. Just goes to show how you can't trust anybody.<p>But, now I have a case to build my own in.
hp

Post by hp »

The case for the amp is probably worth the 5 bucks. Just build your amp and put it in the broken amp's case.<p>Harrison
MicroRem

Post by MicroRem »

If the amp would have worked perfectly would she have been stupid for selling it for only 5 dollars? maybe it's a perspective thing
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yea, i guess it wasn't that big of a waste of money, but think if I didn't know what I was doing. that would be $5 thrown in the garbage can.<p>Anyway, the hardest part about a car amp is the power supply. I have a schematic for one from sound.westhost.com. Anybody have a compatable PCB layout for it?<p>Also, what about a PCB for this amp: http://sound.westhost.com/project101.htm
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

hey..it might still be repairable...<p>refill it with magic smoke...that is what makes electronics work ya know,,
cause if you let the smoke out,,it doesn't work no more :p