LCD display cross reference help needed --- Fixed it!!!

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
cheapNdisgusting

LCD display cross reference help needed --- Fixed it!!!

Post by cheapNdisgusting »

I have several Moultrie I-40 game cameras that are out of warranty that have problems. Two of them the lcd display is missing most of the lines. This is a very common problem and Moultrie wants to sell me another display for $15 plus shipping. I did this once and the replacement lasted about 6 months. The display is marked DM162-AM0003-2 and I really don't want another one from them. I can't find a replacement using any of the "on-line" cross reference pages and I also can't find anyone that sells the original one except Moultrie and I pretty much have cut off all diplomatic relations with them.

I did find a "fix" on-line that involves heating them with a hot air gun on the connection side to melt the glue but haven't tried it because I'm afraid too until I know where to get another in case I break it.

I also have another one that doesn't work and the error code says "no communication" which is another common problem with them. Moultrie tells me it will cost more to fix it than it is worth. All it needs is to have the program re-installed. (how do I know this?) Others have had the same problem and Moultrie used to send an update for this but some of the people screwed up reprogramming and Moultrie no longer does this.

I may be old school but I want to fix and not replace.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking.
cNd
Janitor Tzap

Re: LCD display cross reference help needed

Post by Janitor Tzap »

cheapNdisgusting,

Are all the cameras of the the same make and model?

If they are....
Then take the good parts from all these cameras,
and make at least one good camera from them.

As for reprogramming the camera.....
These are a lot like FLASH ROM's,
and it is really easy to mess up the reprogramming,
that you can end up with a very expensive paper weight. :sad:

Good Luck!

Signed: Janitor Tzap
cheapNdisgusting

Yes, all three are Gamespy I 40's.
cNd
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

LCD displays come with and without controllers. If it has a controller, you want to match the chip and pinout in your replacement. Fortunately most of these are almost universal. Just search Digikey and Mouser for LCD displays and start filetering and reading datasheets. I think you will find $15 is a fair price for an exact replacement. Perhaps you should discuss your concerns with them prior to buying, they may admit to a past problem or deny one exists.

Since you report missing lines or segments in the display, I expect the controller is working OK and that just the interconnect between the controller board and the glass may be open. This mechanical failure mode could be due to remounting issues rather than a low quality display. In any case, you may be able to repair the display by simply removing the glass from the board by removing the metal retaining frame then reassembling. A very light alcohol cleaning is OK but don't rub or buff the glass surface vigorously or you may erase the nearly invisible metal lines.
cheapNdisgusting

This LCD is two pieces of glass with the connection sandwiched in-between them. I tried the junk science method of heating with a heat gun and applying a preheated weight on it and letting it cool overnight. It now works about 90% which is great. How long it will last is yet to be determined. I also ordered 2 new ones from Moultrie.

Thanks for all the help and advice.
cNd