4 bulb trick and...........

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Deac_1

4 bulb trick and...........

Post by Deac_1 »

Hi,

Ok I give, does anyone know how this works???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGm5_uo5 ... re=related

And, on a similar note, in an article in one of the now defunct electronics magazine there was a DYI to make a two bulb magic trick that used bulbs, switches and diodes (installed in the switches and bulbs) Does anyone have any information on that article..??

Thanks,

Kerry
dacflyer

Re: 4 bulb trick and...........

Post by dacflyer »

sure do :D but the version i have is only for a 2 lamp unit, i actually built it a few years ago.. it was called the not so serious circuit.
it basically involved taking apart 2 C9 christmas bulbs carefully and installing diodes. you might break a few if not really careful.
it also involved taking apart 2 toggle switches and installing 2 diodes inside of it also.
that trick is that the bulb is dedicated to the switch, no matter what socket the bulb is screwed into. but when looking at the schematic ( or in this case the clear box ) its all wired in series and ac powered.
quite interesting.
if you like i will dig thru my books and see if i can copy the schematic to here... :)
i have had a lot of fun making even experienced electronic friends perplexed. the mind tells you that your dealing with DC, but its all actually AC but rectified, each light and switch is only using a 1/2 cycle.
not sure how the 4 bulb type would be done..
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

ok, i have the schematic, for the 2 lamp trick, trying to post it here now.. ( testing - gotta figure out how to. )
ok, i cannot seem to figure out how to post pix here anymore..
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

You have to use a host for the picture then post the link here. I use Postimage.org for mine.
Sign up, upload the image and several codes will show up that you can copy to the clipboard.
I don't remember which ones I used, but you can paste all 8 of them in your message and
preview it to see which one works best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw this a while back and even saw the schematic. I don't remember where it was, though.
I believe it was diodes, AC, magnets and Hall Effect devices. Or was that.... :P

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

well i tried to upload the pictures, but discovered that my friend scanned my pages into a PDF file. and there is no way to save it as a image.
so tomorrow i will try to take pictures with my camera, and see how that will work out. if not then i'll goto a office store and get it scanned in a different way...
i am trying :P
oh and as for online host. i forgot i had photo bucket :P
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

dacflyer wrote:well i tried to upload the pictures, but discovered that my friend scanned my pages into a PDF file. and there is no way to save it as a image.
There is a way... you need Ghostscript. GSview32.exe will let you save virtually any pdf as a common graphics file.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

PDF995's PDFedit will let you save the last printed PDF to an image file. If you
don't have a PDF printer, this is the free download page. Install the converter,
driver, edit and signature, preferrably in that order. now take the PDF that you
want to change to an image file and reprint it as a PDF, taking care to note the
location of the file. Open up PDF995Edit and select the Image tab - it'll be on the
right in 1 of 3 rows of tabs. You should find it in "My documents\PDF995\" with a
name something like temp001.jpg, or whatever extension you chose from the pulldown
menu. Change the name to whatever you want and you are done.

Since it is free, you do have to put up with reminders of the paid version when you use
it, but it is only a minor annoyance, at least to me, and can be ignored. A key to get rid
of the "ads" is $20, but I've used it for probably 8 years the free way.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

thanks guys, i will try it out.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

have not had luck to get it able to work.. but i was cleaning shop today and you will never guess what i found...

if you can look for your September 2005 mag. look in Q&A
there is the the MAGIC BOX
maybe someone here can post that article. or maybe it can be searched in N&V

will try to get my version scanned in a jpeg
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

Couldn't get it to work? Do you mean GSview also?
I open the pdf in GSview, select Convert from the File pulldown, select the format and resolution, and the pages to convert. Click OK and then enter the output file details (name & location). Done.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Way to go Dac! I knew it was in N&V somewhere. If you have a subscription, you can go to
your emailed digital edition, open it up and change (just) the year/month in the address bar
to go directly to that particular edition. It's on the second page of Q&A. RIP TJ...

CeaSaR

BTW Dac, I could do the conversion if you can't get it to work. Lemme know...
Hey, what do I know?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

ok, i think i got the links for the NOT SO SERIOUS CIRCUIT ( 2 lamp confusion ) sorry the pages are not very clear. you may be able to enlarge. not sure.
hope it works for you, if not i tried...

Deac_1

Post by Deac_1 »

Hi Dac,

You must be a walking, talking electronic magazine index! Thanks for all your efforts...I wonder if I have that edition buried in the dungeon somewhere?

Kerry
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

well i am NO index but i do horde a lot of books, and collect what i can. i do miss the "Popular Electronics" magazine.
most N&V magazines i have had over the years, i read all that interest me. and then after a while i cut out the good parts i liked, then toss the rest of the magazine.
the cut out parts; i save them in a large 3 ring binder and put them in the clear covers. then it takes up way less space.
its in no particular order, i just add in stuff as it interest me, ( circuits , new stuff of interest, etc. )