inverter question

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

inverter question

Post by dacflyer »

i have a portable inverter 12vdc to 115ac volts<p>its a common type,, made by several mfg.
radio shack is the most common one..<p>it is a standard 140 watt inverter,,<p>if the power sw. is on..the unit has a delay before it will turn on,, what i want to know is,,
is there a way to by pass what ever is causing the delay so that the unit comes on instantly? and if so,, how?<p>i am wanting to use the inverter on a solar light system with a motion detector,, but when triggered,, there is a 2-5 second delay before the unit powers up... anyone having exp with this please let me know,,<p>2 models i have here is,,circuitry and look are identical,, ( made in china..lol ) figgures<p>AC Traveler / model APP-115 / made by Amperor INC.
and
radio shack #22-132
bodgy

Re: inverter question

Post by bodgy »

It is possible the delay is needed to either stop a current surge to the equipment at switch on, and/or, to prevent stress to the transformer and output drivers.<p>
bodgy
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
bwts

Post by bwts »

I suggest that you have the inverter already on and have some control cicuitry between it and the rest of the cicuitry to turn the light on and off I strongly recordmend that you dont remove the delay (probably a capacitor) as this will no doubt knacker your inverter!!!! :) B
"Nothing is true, all is permitted" - Hassan i Sabbah
Michael Vickers

Post by Michael Vickers »

Most likely this is a cheap modified sine wave inverter which likely will include a sizeable capacitor to hold up the AC voltage past the switching transformer as DC (which later gets switched into a modified AC sinewave). <p>If you try to defeat the circuitry the current inrush to the cap may blow the power electronics, or it may keep the cap from charging up to full voltage. <p>Either way, there's no way around it.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

ok, i was just currious about it,,,<p>i use it with a flourscent light,,
2-3 second delay for the inverter to fire up and 1 secone for light to fire up,,, kind of a drawback,, and i do not want to leave the inverter on all the time, since this is a solar set up,, need to conserve power as much as possible,,,only constant load is the motion detector,,, well thanx for the replys guys,,
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

I have this same device (Radio Shack inverter) and mine has the delay so it is not a defect. My guess is that the delay is there so that the oscillator can be brought online and become stabilized before applying the 120 Volt output. Thus you do not get some strange high frequency pulse on the output.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
bwts

Post by bwts »

Why use an inverter at all? you can get DC floresant (iz that how u spell dat?) lights that run off batteries this would be alot more efficient and cut down your delay :) <p>Mr B
bwts

Post by bwts »

Just one more thought on the subject why not use Halogen bulbs??? No time delay no need for an inverter very bright (car headlamps etc.) very efficient (upto 11 hours of light with a well charged 12v battery)
B
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

PS > the light i am using here with this project is a... Lights of America , model # 9266
gives a lot of light,, approx 2,580 lumens for about 65 watts,, very efficient ! :D
toejam

Post by toejam »

If that light can work on dc, you could operate it off a big cap while the invertor powers up if it was charged up and disconnected while the circut was turned off.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

sorry the light is 120vac...Hmmm thanks anyway
ampedtech

Post by ampedtech »

Dear Mr. Flyer:
Be like mini-me and have it all!
Have the detetor feed two devices. You already have a system that works, just add a automotive head light and a timer relay, trigered from your dector.
Now, before you start whining about the current draw remember, the relay and lamp will only be on for a few seconds. Once the inverter and flouresent spool up the timer in/on/for the relay sez good night. <p>Now lets get REAl cool, check out Agilent tech. new line of VERY high out put LEDs. An array of 50 might rivel the brightness your current system. 50 LEDs would draw about 1 amp but, no inverter needed!<p>http://www.agilent.com/
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

ok, thanx,, i;ll look into it,, :)
rjjs

Post by rjjs »

What's feeding the detector, DC or AC? If Ac how is it getting power? Why not bypass the inverter
power switch with a photo cell arangement(DC) so that it turns on when dark out drawing just idle
current and turns off at daybreak? Measure the
idle current,it shouldn't be that much.
rjjs

Post by rjjs »

What's feeding the detector, DC or AC? If Ac how is it getting power? Why not bypass the inverter
power switch with a photo cell arangement(DC) so that it turns on when dark out drawing just idle
current and turns off at daybreak? Measure the
idle current,it shouldn't be that much.